Knocking noise at medium acceleration, 5 speed.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Knocking noise at medium acceleration, 5 speed.

I have a knocking noise that occurs only on medium acceleration in 1st through 4th gears, cannot hear it on fifth. No unusual noises in clutch and I can rev the engine in neutral and get no knock. I can hold it at 4,000 rpm in neutral and no noise. This is where a bad rod bearing would usually rattle. I do get the usual ford oil pump rattle when starting it first thing in the morning. Drained the transmission and no metal in oil so I doubt the problem is there. No codes but the baro reading is 28.5 consistently even when the actual baro pressure is 30.1. The knocking does not sound like pinging so I do not thing i is timing related. I bought this car used and do not know the history. Is there any way to tell if it has been programmed and if so what can I do about it? How hard is it to put bearings in one of these in the car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Member Array

Not sure if my problem is same as yours but I would get popping in the exhaust only at part throttle acceleration, like yours everything else sounded good, I did get O2 sensor fail and running rich, found I had sticking fuel injectors.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf View Post
    I have a knocking noise that occurs only on medium acceleration in 1st through 4th gears, cannot hear it on fifth. No unusual noises in clutch and I can rev the engine in neutral and get no knock. I can hold it at 4,000 rpm in neutral and no noise. This is where a bad rod bearing would usually rattle. I do get the usual ford oil pump rattle when starting it first thing in the morning. Drained the transmission and no metal in oil so I doubt the problem is there. No codes but the baro reading is 28.5 consistently even when the actual baro pressure is 30.1. The knocking does not sound like pinging so I do not thing i is timing related. I bought this car used and do not know the history. Is there any way to tell if it has been programmed and if so what can I do about it? How hard is it to put bearings in one of these in the car?
    Bearings are relatively easy to install. It is the prep that will tax you. You will need to pull the engine, disassemble it, recondition the rods, probably cut the crank 0.010" under. While you are in there, depending on miles, look at replacing the rings and re-honing the cylinders. Just for good measure, while the engine is apart freshen up the valve job, seals and springs. Depending on the condition of the pistons / cylinders you may want to investigate new pistons also.

Ed

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread