"WARNING" Ford Racing Cast Aluminum Valve Covers "WARNING"
+ Reply to Thread

Default "WARNING" Ford Racing Cast Aluminum Valve Covers "WARNING"

I've just went through 2 days of hell and want to send out this warning so no one else runs into this same problem. I changed my oil in my 347 stroker on Friday and found 2 little Philips head screws, one with the head sheared off, 9/32 X 1/4 stuck to the magnetic drain plug. With over $10,000 dollars invested in this engine and only 7200 miles on it, I had to find out where they came from. I called the engine builder and questioned him on the origin and he said that the baffles in the Road Race oil pans were held in place with small screws. So I had to drop the sub frame in my MGB to get the oil pan out. After getting the pan on the floor I foundall the screws were in place so the 2 screws came from somewhere else. I looked on the internet at the parts that are on this engine and found that the Ford Racing Cast Aluminum Valve covers use 4 little screws to hold the baffles in place under the breather hole and filler hole. I pulled the passenger side valve cover and found the baffle loose laying up against the valve springs but didn't find the 2 remaining screws that had fallen out. I'm in the process now of trying to locate the 2 missing screws. One more thing I did find was some nicks in the valve springs on number 8 cylinder which could cause the spring to fail and result in sucking a valve. I just thought I'd leave this here hopefully to help someone else out. If your running cast valve covers check the baffles at least by sticking a finger through the holes to see if they are loose. I'm going back down to the barn now to try and find those 2 other screws before they cause some catastrophic failure. Happy motoring, exfed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Awful find, but many thanks for sharing. Loctite to the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by exfed12825 View Post
    I've just went through 2 days of hell and want to send out this warning so no one else runs into this same problem. I changed my oil in my 347 stroker on Friday and found 2 little Philips head screws, one with the head sheared off, 9/32 X 1/4 stuck to the magnetic drain plug. With over $10,000 dollars invested in this engine and only 7200 miles on it, I had to find out where they came from. I called the engine builder and questioned him on the origin and he said that the baffles in the Road Race oil pans were held in place with small screws. So I had to drop the sub frame in my MGB to get the oil pan out. After getting the pan on the floor I foundall the screws were in place so the 2 screws came from somewhere else. I looked on the internet at the parts that are on this engine and found that the Ford Racing Cast Aluminum Valve covers use 4 little screws to hold the baffles in place under the breather hole and filler hole. I pulled the passenger side valve cover and found the baffle loose laying up against the valve springs but didn't find the 2 remaining screws that had fallen out. I'm in the process now of trying to locate the 2 missing screws. One more thing I did find was some nicks in the valve springs on number 8 cylinder which could cause the spring to fail and result in sucking a valve. I just thought I'd leave this here hopefully to help someone else out. If your running cast valve covers check the baffles at least by sticking a finger through the holes to see if they are loose. I'm going back down to the barn now to try and find those 2 other screws before they cause some catastrophic failure. Happy motoring, exfed
    how about removing the baffles all together?
    are the baffles even needed?
    I removed my baffles to powdercoat the valve covers and now am thinking not to install them for fear of what you mentioned.

Without the baffles they will let oil escape out the breather. A baffled catch can can fix that if your using one.

So I guess I will loc tight the screws to be on the safe side. Thanks for the warning and help/ info.

Thanks guys

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

7. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread