**OFFICIAL Weight Reduction Thread** - Page 9

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 First ... 23456789

There are different headrests for the rear seat. My stock 2003 Cobra rear headrest weighs about 5.5 lbs and is a soft vinyl material with foam padding under it, on top of a plastic frame. I bought a replacement from a 04 Cobra (per the guy selling it) that is just a thin plastic shell, similar to all the other interior panels. Easy 5 lb weight loss. I assume 04 V6s and GTs would have the same lighter weight (but cheaper feeling) rear headrest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I have been doing extensive research on this specific topic, and it is apparently called an "anti-submarine plate". Its designed to separate/block the driver's body from submarining under the dash board as well as "shielding" you from all the sharp edges as well. I have the same mentality as you on this, and have chosen to keep this in place. Some people will say that hitting this metal plate would hurt too, but its alot better that the alternative behind it IMHO. I've seen the effect impact has on a body, and prefer to not be mangled.

These are my actual calculated #s...
    * Stock Driver's Seat (Leather & Powered; 2000 Mustang GT): 58.6 lbs
    * Stock Passenger's Seat (Leather & Manual; 2000 Mustang GT): 42 lbs

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

AZ Cherry Bomb,

You do know that this thread was originated about 15 years ago and has had no further input in the last nine years other than a lone posting 5 years ago. Many of the original posters have moved on to newer rides while others have sadly passed on.

Ed

Ed, do you want to know how I even found this forum? I was searching for answers to my own Mustang questions. What's awesome about the internet is that it is a prevailing data mine for us to dig in. Discussions relevant then, are still relevant now. How many people Google these topics but never sign up to the forum because they already found their answer? I'm guessing many; I did/do the same. The cars themselves don't change. I'm not doing anything wrong here... in fact, I'm adding to the dialogue, which hopefully brings some added clarity to someone else years from now researching the same topic. Who knows, 10-15 years from now, some young buck will ask, "What is this metal plate under the dashboard...? Do I really need this? Oh, it looks like I do... [then gets into a car accident and his legs are saved because instead of saving 4 pounds on weight he listened to those that came before him who actually put words to paper (words to computer) and stated its necessity. My $0.10.

AZ Cherry Bomb,

I think you might be a bit overly sensitive. The commentary was not critical of you or your efforts it was factual and informative. The intent was to properly set your expectations for a response from any of the original posters. Had you complained about not finding a responsive ear to your posting in a 15 year old thread that has been closed for essentially 10 years (as other infrequent users have) you may have received what you would consider hostile commentary from others pointing out the same thread age issues.

Relax no one is attacking you. The information on the site is obviously available to all. If there is a significant fact missing from an older posting and it is still relevant by all means add to the knowledge base. I am not necessarily persuaded your 20 year old seat weight information falls into the missing significant fact category, however ... That said you are certainly welcome to announce the information (as you did) should you feel it is significant and also missing.

You will find most of the membership around here is pretty easy going and many times they bring the benefits of multiple decades of experience with these cars. It is improbable you will get attacked by the membership here and people who choose to do so tend to be short lived members anyway, sometimes, to use the words of the Terminator, self terminating and other times pursuing a self destructive path that terminates in their own removal from the site.

You are welcome anywhere on the site, please contribute where you feel you can and please feel free to make use of any and all information on the site that others have elected to share. Please do not embrace a keyboard commando sort of presence or the social media confrontational sort of participation. On balance it doesn't really work out well here — for anyone.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Cherry Bomb View Post
    I have been doing extensive research on this specific topic, and it is apparently called an "anti-submarine plate". Its designed to separate/block the driver's body from submarining under the dash board as well as "shielding" you from all the sharp edges as well. I have the same mentality as you on this, and have chosen to keep this in place. Some people will say that hitting this metal plate would hurt too, but its alot better that the alternative behind it IMHO. I've seen the effect impact has on a body, and prefer to not be mangled.
    Hey Cherry broski listen unfortunately your extensive internet research did not lead you to find Cobra Bob's website, its like stangshiftergaskets.com or something like that. Just google cobra bob and on there you will find an encyclopedia of information about the factory equipment of the 03-04 cobra, in there is a weight reduction page and a very long list of every single possible thing you can remove for weight reduction it also says how much each item weighs. Its a PDF, if I was on my desktop I'd post it. Its Elmo's weight reduction list, all the hard work is done for you, no calculating necessary, Things on that list you will never think of. Do all those things and hit the scales and then let us know how light you are.
    Oh and don't forget to remove the muffler bearings, good 5-7lbs right there.
    Ok I gotta run now, Good luck on your Terminator diet.

I have a ton of pic on my website of weights of various part of the car including both the stock front seats.

Address is in my sig.

11. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 First ... 23456789