SCT PRP thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 Last

Thread: SCT PRP thread

Default SCT PRP thread

I wanted to start a thread (and possibly make it a sticky) on guys that use the SCT Pro Racer Package to tune there own cars. The SCT forum is helpful, but not entirely Mustang specific. If we had a thread here, it might make it easier to bounce ideas off one another and help get some questions answered faster.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I've been tuning mine the last couple years. One of the things that really helped me was to get a slot MAF and to download 03Steve's Tuning Workbook Pro spreadsheet. It takes all the math/guesswork out and scales everything to plug right into the tune. For novice tuners, it's extremely helpful. I am about to leave the PRP world and put a Holley EFI in though........

Tuning a slot MAF is wayyyyyy easier thats for sure. I have a VMP slot MAF in my car and the value file I got from Justin was extremely close!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe that 03Steve guy can post the link in here for us ;)

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Great idea Jon, I'm thinking of getting the PRP for my car.

--Joe

Most people that have had to figure stuff out just won't take the time to help. You get asked tons of questions and every setup is different. The pros won't help because that's their job. They aren't gonna help you for free.
    The newer standalone systems are a better investment IMO. The entry-level kits are very affordable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked46 View Post
    I wanted to start a thread (and possibly make it a sticky) on guys that use the SCT Pro Racer Package to tune there own cars. The SCT forum is helpful, but not entirely Mustang specific. If we had a thread here, it might make it easier to bounce ideas off one another and help get some questions answered faster.
    Great idea Jon. It would certainly be helpful for a number of guys who do their own tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by badcobra View Post
    I've been tuning mine the last couple years. One of the things that really helped me was to get a slot MAF and to download 03Steve's Tuning Workbook Pro spreadsheet. It takes all the math/guesswork out and scales everything to plug right into the tune. For novice tuners, it's extremely helpful. I am about to leave the PRP world and put a Holley EFI in though........
    The Holley system gets a lot of visibility today Tony, even more so since NHRA has adopted it as the sole EFI for Pro Stock. I have spoken to a few guys who have bought the Holley system and while you always expect to find some things a manufacturer could do better, the buyers remorse factor for the Holley system was higher than I would have anticipated.

There is another EFI you might want to take a look at before committing to buy an aftermarket system. Here is the link to the site => MS-3 Pro. It is a manufactured version of the MegaSquirt system that we used to have to build ourselves. This one is now available in an assembled format like the competitive alternatives. Their user manual, click here => User Manual is excellent, and the tuning software is very complete and mature — it even supports a returnless system like the OEM Ford system, (if you want to use it) for daily driver use.

They have a particularly attractive GUI for tuning with a very complete PC or MAC based tuning software package. This is a link to the tuning software page, Tuner Studio-Pro The software's GUI is very impressive and it brings analytics and data logging that is built in as part of the standard offering..

The entire package is stunningly complete and is less than $1,200 for everything! For those who may not have heard about MegaSquirt they are one of the original Heathkit style EFI systems that has been around for two decades probably more. Very complete, very mature and now available fully assembled so you don't have to build a computer anymore to get a very comprehensive EFI system.

Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 07-11-2016 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar

Decision has already been made Ed. I know many people running the Holley and they all love it. We just put in my buddy's turbo Cobra and it's performing beautifully and all the local LS turbo guys use it and love it. The Holley is a 'plug n play' system for 4V Cobra's and you can install it and have a running car and doing WOT pulls in a weekend with ease with just minimal wiring. No system offers that level of simplicity. I have already played with the Holley v4 software, it is extremely simple to understand and tune with. My brother owns a shop and is a dealer so I am not paying anywhere close to retail price. EDIT: One more thing I wanted to add that being able control a returnless system is inconsequential to most I presume. By the time you get to the point you 'need' a standalone, the returnless fuel system is long gone.

But I don't want to mess up Jon's PRP thread with this standalone stuff so carry on........
    Last edited by badcobra; 07-11-2016 at 11:23 AM.

I've been using SCT's PRP for little over 6 years now...and I love it. Granted I don't have a 7 second car, but you can do a lot with a EEC V processor. It takes time to learn the in's and out's of the stock processor, but once you do it's amazing what you can do!

I learned most of what I know today because of you Mr. Ryan!

Senior Member Array cobraracer46's Avatar

I just started to play around with the SCT pro racer and I use it on a Apple MacBook pro that's loaded with Microsoft windows 8. Some people say that you can't use SCT's PRP on a Mac, but i've already loaded a calibration from my Mac to a SCT hand held tuner and then to the car with out an issue.

^^ I wondered that too but I guess its because you're using windows 8 on your MAC. I tried using the MAC OS and no go.

Another thing that has helped me greatly tuning my own car is the Lasota SCT Tuning Manual. With this book you can build a tune from scratch, get your car running, and dial it in all on your own from start to finish. I highly recommend you buy the hard copy book as it's much easier than viewing on the computer when you're out in the garage/shop trying to tune your car. Lasota Manual

For the price of one dynotune session, you can buy the PRP + manual and start learning yourself. Now when there is a change to your car, you can adjust it and dial it in yourself and not be at the mercy of your tuner. If you are in good with your tuner, they can send you your tune file in PRP format so you don't have to build a base tune yourself. Bottom line, in the end you will save gobs of time and money learning how to do it yourself.

^^ I wondered that too but I guess its because you're using windows 8 on your MAC. I tried using the MAC OS and no go.
    If you use VMWare or Parallels to run Windows it will work on a Mac, Jon. The other way is to boot the Mac as a Windows machine but you will loose the interconnect between the two environments if you go that way.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by badcobra View Post
    Another thing that has helped me greatly tuning my own car is the Lasota SCT Tuning Manual. With this book you can build a tune from scratch, get your car running, and dial it in all on your own from start to finish. I highly recommend you buy the hard copy book as it's much easier than viewing on the computer when you're out in the garage/shop trying to tune your car. Lasota Manual

For the price of one dynotune session, you can buy the PRP + manual and start learning yourself. Now when there is a change to your car, you can adjust it and dial it in yourself and not be at the mercy of your tuner. If you are in good with your tuner, they can send you your tune file in PRP format so you don't have to build a base tune yourself. Bottom line, in the end you will save gobs of time and money learning how to do it yourself.

I've been thinking about buying a hard copy to read. I know the basics but with my new setup, I'll have a few things to learn.

I've been thinking about buying a hard copy to read. I know the basics but with my new setup, I'll have a few things to learn.
    It's well worth the $80.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 Last