Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

4.6 2v wiring details

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Falconstein 
#1 ·
New to site, been searching for 3 weeks on here and the web, not found exactly what I'm looking for, I cant find a wiring diagram or instruction. I got a 66 FORD LTD that i want to put a 2001 lincoln town car 4.6 2v engine and transmission into. I want to use the ECM and harness from the town car to control the fuel injection and the transmission only. Will use the existing 66 harness to operate lights and everything else on the 66. I know it has been asked and done many times to older fords but not able to find any specifics on the wiring.
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

See less See more
#2 ·
you and me both man, tryin to cram a 5.4 in a 62 meteor. best ive found so far is google image search (your vehical) computer pinout. should get ya to knowing what color wires go where and do what. im not sure if removing chassis wiring like lights will piss anything off though. i know most of the motor is inside one loom on my application, 3 big plugs for the motor and a maf and iat sensor, the rest stays on the motor and trans, 2 plugs on top of bellhousing disconnect the tranny harness from motor harness. and ya probly have fuel pump and sending unit rinnin back towards the tank. im adopting mine from a 97 econoline, but we both got the old 2v motors, maybe its similar. i hear alot of people talk about tuners, and killing sensors so the computer doesnt look for em and throw a code. i know ive found some good info for deleting egr and evap on lightning forums, maybe try some crown vic or marauder sites. i just know in my case no one tweaks an econoline so lookin along those lines didnt help me. good luck tho, gonna be wicked cool to pop the hood on your 60s ford and see a modern ohc engine. ive kinda thought im creating a kinda modern thunderbolt. i dont have sohc 427 money, but i got a 330 sittin in the driveway. lemme know if ya find anything, ill do the same if i come across anything in my seaches

#4 ·
might be easier if you get the wiring and ECU out of a Mustang GT (4.6 2V), there are tuners for those. I went on ebay and bought my wiring diagrams there, called EVTM, 4.6 ECU's can be tuned to a 5.4. My project is 2003 5.4 DOHC in a 54 Ford coupe, I used a 95 MK VIII computer and body harness, I used a 96 T-bird ECU with the appropriate modifications for the coils packs, I thought many times I'm in over my head but it paid off. Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior
Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Tire

#5 ·
If you find something please share as I will have an upcoming project that will require a schematic also

#7 ·
I'm in a similar situation. I picked up a 97 4.6 from a crown vic yesterday. I am putting it into a 62 rambler unibody. I have a ton of fab work I will start this week. In the meantime I am trying to educate myself on the wiring. I think I am going to fork out the cash for the Ron Francis wiring harness. From what I gather it eliminates the harness on the motor as well. So those 2 or 3 giant plugs go away. You have individual plugs to each component that then runs back to his box. The wires are cut to fit. It's expensive, but in my case I think it's well spent to get the look I want and the ease I'd like to have. But, you also have to have the ecm flashed to remove the rear O2, ERG, PATS and a few other things. I plan on just using a crown vic ecm and having it flashed since the rest will be stock. But in my case I have to take the care down to frame rails and put in a mustang ii front end. Then build it all up from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.