Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Not a mod-motor question if that is allowed

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  chassis_builder 
#1 ·
I have an '85 F250 with a 5.0 FI engine that is giving me a problem that has me stumped. It runs fine but when fully warmed up will sometimes quit and acts like it isn't getting gas. I have checked and have gas at the high pressure pump output but haven't checked pressure. It will restart after sitting and cooling off for a period and then run fine. I changed the fuel pressure regulator but that wasn't the problem. It is hard to diagnose when it will correct itself. I plan to install a pressure gauge and see if that is the problem when it does it again but no telling when it will happen as it is rather random. Anybody have any suggestions as to what to look for or maybe a better place to look for information?

#2 ·
i used to have a 95 Ford Mustang GT 5.0l.. doing the same thing, after months and lots of wasted money in "mech's" i found out that the pick up coil magnet when it get hot lose its "magnetism and engine act like out of fuel.... check you distributor, maybe its the same issue...

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. After checking through almost everything on the fuel and ignition systems and finding that the high tension terminal on the coil was completely corroded off it ended up being the fuel filter was clogged. I have not had a clogged filter act like that before. It seems that the in-the-tank pump was having to pump too hard against the filter and would stop working. After several times of this it quite all together. Changed the filter and it runs fine now. I do think I have some injectors that leak as when I start it after it is warmed up and has been sitting for awhile it runs like it is slightly flooded for a few minutes. Once that clears up it is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.