Terminated 89 LX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Terminated 89 LX

I know it's not a Cobra, but I thought I'd post a build thread as I'm making some changes on my Termi swapped 89 LX. There's an old thread in the swap forum if anyone is interested.

I picked up a swap kit from a junkyard and completed the swap 4 years ago. Been having some clutch issues. Working through the range of adjustment, I dicovered the motor mounts were bad. Decided to pull the motor and transmission to address these issues and make some long overdue upgrades.

Here's the car and motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Dropped the motor, trans, and k member.

Once I got the trans and bell housing off, it was very clear why shifting was poor. Flywheel and pressure plate show signs of serious heat. Clutch disk was very worn, below spec for depth to rivets.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

After replacing the motor mounts and upgrading to a Stewart water pump, the kooks long tubes were set in place.

One of my favorites pieces of this upgrade, powder coated valve covers and chrome coil covers!

I didn't take a picture, but there is a plaque on the drivers side rear of the engine near the bell housing that says Ford Remanufactured 2005. Makes me think this was a warranty replacement engine and may have less miles than indicated in the instrument cluster.

A peek inside the valve cover revealed a very clean engine.

While waiting for a new flywheel, moved on to the car to upgrade the heat exchanger with an AFCO piece.

At this point in the build, it was this past weekend and time to install the flywheel, clutch and transmission. After wrestling the dowel pins out of the stock flywheel, I was shocked and extremely disappointed to realize that they will not work in the RAM billet aluminum piece.

After conceding defeat, we started cleaning up for the day. A few minutes later, a stranger pulls up on a dirt bike. He introduces himself, says he lives down the street and has seen my car many times. We talked shop for a while and when I told him why we were done for the weekend, he says he has on old fox body flywheel and I'm welcome to have the dowel pins if they fit.

We loaded up the flywheel, clutch and headed down the street. Wouldn't you know, the fox body dowel pins fit perfectly in the RAM flywheel! This neighbor saved my weekend with his generosity and some very coincidental timing! I guess the car gods paid me back for all the help I've given to family, friends and neighbors.

After installing new pilot and throw out bearings, the flywheel and a CF duel friction clutch, the bell housing and transmission were back with the motor.
    Last edited by 67coupe; 10-18-2016 at 06:43 AM.

It's is now time for the moment of truth, will the kooks longtubes fit in the fox engine compartment?

After some "clearancing" of the passenger side firewall, the answer is yes!

On the downhill side now. Hope to have her back on the road this weekend!
    Last edited by 67coupe; 10-18-2016 at 07:02 AM.

Senior Member Array 04DeadShort's Avatar

Nice, love me some retromods.

Progress came to a screeching halt the last few weekends. The kooks X pipe just won't fit my setup. It interferes with the 96 - 98 transmission crossmember that I'm using. The pipe and headers are just too wide for the crossmember.

I called a few local exhaust shops hoping to avoid making my own mid pipe for the third time. They could all help, but all stated they would have to add cats to the car. For the $500 price tag alone, I attempted to make my own again.

After 2 days of work, lots of cussing and almost throwing in the towel twice, this was the result.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. It's tucked tight to the car and I have pretty good ground clearance. Most importantly, they are no leaks and the exhaust note is simply awesome. The change in sound due to the headers and going back to an h completely exceeded my expectations.

All that's left is to break in the clutch and have the front end aligned. Then, schedule a day with the tuner, swap the idlers and upper pulley on, and hit the road!

Well, today was dyno day and I'm pretty happy with the final numbers.

First off, a huge shout out to Jeff at Mo's Speed Shop in Dallas, GA. These guys know their stuff and are true car guys to the core. Had a great time spending the day with them.

Mods are:

Kooks 1 5/8 longtubes
    Off road h
    JLT RAI
    SCT 2600 MAF
    2.80 upper pulley

Final numbers (Dynojet, STD correction):

462 rwhp
    490 rwtq

Time for finally enjoy this car!

Long road and nice job there 67 coupe. You will have many happy attitude adjustment miles ahead of you with your newly finished toy!

Ed

Thanks Ed. The final product is better than I imagined.

Hopefully this link works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpurrvfoyh...%20PM.mov?dl=0

Todd
    Last edited by 67coupe; 11-18-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Very nice torque curve,Todd. It came up at the hit and to the extent I could read the screen it appeared essentially table flat and held untill you lifted. Very nice achievement with an Eaton!

That makes for a fun car to drive.

Ed

Senior Member Array

That's awesome! This is my next project, a caged 93 Cobra with a built 03/04 drive train.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last