Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

New GForce axles shafts for the Terminator

38K views 117 replies 12 participants last post by  jrgoffin 
#1 · (Edited)
These have been in the works for quite awhile, especially after GForce Engineering had developed an upgraded half-shaft set for Ford Racing to market for the S550 Mustang. Although there is another offering from DSS, these are unique since they are side-specific and are meant to cut down on axle hop. This has been something GM has been doing for many years (on the CTS-V, for example), so it's nice that Ford has finally caught on!

Here is their set for the '15-up IRS Mustang (Ford Racing M-4130-M):

I had written about the "anti-hop" technology (as GForce calls it) on my own site in this blurb on the half-shafts, and was glad to see those of us that had contacted them a year or so back about developing shafts for the Terminator had been heard:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/suspension.htm#Half-Shafts

In any case, their new shafts are technically still in a bit of R&D right now, but there is no doubt these will be a nice upgrade for the IRS Cobra (they'll also fit an earlier Cobra if the differential is upgraded to a 31 spline unit). I did talk to Casey at GForce about the axle diameters, and although to the naked eye the difference may not be obvious, they are definitely side specific (I think one has an OD of 1.385" and the other is 1.382"). More to come I'm sure, but here is the pic that is currently up on their site:

See less See more
#108 · (Edited)
I finally jumped in and placed an order through Summit for a set of G force axle shafts for $1599. Shipping was free so not too bad of price. As per Joe's recommendation, I bought some of the Audi Porsche WHT-006-779 locking nuts. Finally, the cross axis joints on my car are trashed so I went ahead
and purchased a spherical bearing kit from Maximum Motorsports since they dropped the price down to $297 from $379 and shipping was free from MM so not a bad deal there.

I should have everything installed before December and then I'll report back on the results!

#112 ·
Those look really good. I know you are not a fan of the solid axle stuff, but those prices just make me cringe. I build my whole rear end (with a wavetrac diff) for the price of those axles and bushings. My hat's off to you for sticking with the IRS, I just couldn't do it.

#113 · (Edited)
It's great to see MM coming down on price for those cross-axis joints. I did luck out and score with the SPC versions (which are more OE-like), but these would have been my first choice had the other ones not been available.

The GForce shafts are also worth every penny. Not only are they essentially indestructible, the improvement from stock is going to make the IRS better in every way. Even better if you have a Terminator and can sell off the OE set - offsets the price nicely. Love driving my car even more and no way would I ever think of putting in a stick axle and offsetting the balance of the car even more.

P.S. The Audi/Porsche lock nuts are also the way to go - glad GForce approved them being warranty friendly!

#114 ·
I finally have all my parts I need in order to swap the shafts. In addition to the G force Shafts, I'm going to re seal the diff. Parts list is as follows: "near new IRS knuckles,"IRS cross axis joints and sway bay end links From Maximum Motorsports, Red Line synthetic gear oil, Aeroquip AN fittings so I can install an oil cooler and POR 15 to refinish the IRS subframe.
White Sleeve Font Auto part Plastic

Hope to have a ride and drive review soon!

#115 ·
The G force axle project is done and the car feels great!
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Synthetic rubber

First impressions: no more violent wheel hop and I did not notice any increased NVH due to the Maximum Motorsports spherical bearing cross axis joints so that is a big win as well. Secondly, The Porsche / Audi locking nuts are super stout, but just to play it safe, I went ahead and used the red locktite that G force recommended because in the past, the car experienced problems with the axle nuts coming loose. In fact, the passenger side hub was trashed along with the bearing and even the driver side bearing was starting to show a bit of play. I ended up getting new loaded knuckles with hubs and bearings to clean up that mess.

#116 · (Edited)
Good to see the fit of the revised Maximum Motorsports end links, but you do have them upside-down. The knurled section of the body should be on the bottom for maximum clearance from the axle. Then again, they could be closer to the boot like that and may be ideal only for the stock half-shafts, so it might just be the angle of the picture...

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/assets/install/pdf/irs/MMRSB-94r1.pdf

#117 ·
Yeah, the sway bar end links do look like they are upside down. To my eye, it seemed like the clearance between the axle shaft CV boots and the links was a bit too close for comfort in the normal position. When I switched the links to the upside down position, the clearance was better. it could also be that since I was working on this project past midnight, my eyes might have been fooling me. At any rate, the car feels good so I'm not going to worry about it. I will give Maximum Motorsports a call when I get a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.