How to ID the Left and Right head?

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Array

Default How to ID the Left and Right head?

I just received a set of 2005, 9-thread, "C" heads. I thought DOHC heads were Left and Right only. However, I received identical casting numbers. How do you tell the physical difference between them? Should casting numbers be different?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I'm not sure if it's the same on the 2v
    But looking at the rear of the heads the 3v heads have a large L or R on them

The 4V castings are identical left and right. The distinction is in the oil galley feed for the secondary chain tensioners. The driverside head is fed from the front on the driverside and predictably from the rear on the passenger side. Both heads use a secondary chain tensioner. The tensioner for the driverside head is different than the tensioner for the passenger side head. Each tensioner, when used, is used on the opposite end of the head.

When you put the driverside head on the passenger side of the engine all of the oil feed passages to the driverside tensioner (which are now on the back of the passenger side head must be sealed off with 1/8" (I believe) pipe plugs or they will leak oil from the main oil galley. Additionally the oil feeds that were on the back side of the driverside head and now on the front side of the head when used on the passenger side of the engine must be opened up to properly feed the secondary tensioner and cams.

The process is just the opposite when you swap a passenger side head to the driverside. The oil delivery passages from the passenger side for the secondary chain tensioner will now need to be blocked and the oil feeds that were on the back side of the and blocked now need to be opened up to feed the driverside secondary tensioner.

Sounds confusing. If all the plugs have not been already removed you can quickly tell which head goes on which side by looking at the secondary tensioner oil feeds and checking to see which head has which passages blocked. Blocked passages are always on the back side of the head and unblocked passages are always on the front side of the head.

Ed

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread