Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Very dirty piston rings

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cobranick123 
#1 ·
What are you generally using as oil in your cars? I'm rebuilding 100 000 miles driven engine and it is dirty as hell. Salvaged car was shipped year ago for parts donor. Oil rings and scraper ring groove is full of hard carbon deposit. One compression ring was stuck in groove.
Three cylinders had low compression according to worn valve seats, but all rings was dirty. I cleaned part of scraper ring.

See less See more
#2 ·
I use Shell Rotella T4 10w30 in all my cars regardless of use. My old 4v stock motor had 68K miles on it, used Rotella since new and it looked brand new during the tear down. I know several 2v 4.6 taxi's and fleet trucks also run the same oil with excellent results. They also make a 5w30 T6 Multi-vehicle full synthetic oil that works very well too. I just prefer the T4 since I don't do extended oil change intervals.

#3 ·
I use Redline 5w50 synthetic oil along with a Motorcraft FL820S filter in my 2001 Cobra motor and as far as I can tell without tearing down the entire motor, everything looks clean inside. With the Canton oil pan, my car uses over 2 gallons of motor oil so an oil change cost me over a 100 bucks but I think its worth it.

#4 ·
100,000 mile motors will frequently look like what you are seeing as you tear yours down FinnCobra. All those pieces need tone replaced including the pistons and the block will minimally require a honing.

I am guessing you are in Finland. European Mobil1 oils are much better than the Stateside Mobil1 oils. If I am not mistaken you have fully synthetic 0W-30 Mobil1 available. If you have access to it I would use it. If the engine is to be raced I would go to an oil with a viscosity that approximates 10W-40 or 15W-45 and select a synthetic version.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.