Want to go back to stock 10.5" clutch after 11" upgrade kit.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Want to go back to stock 10.5" clutch after 11" upgrade kit.

Hi all.

Years ago I had the FRPP 11" clutch upgrade kit (397-M-7060-C46) installed on my '96 Cobra. Now I want to undo that, because it seems like a pain in the ass getting replacements for this oddball setup (11" clutch with 8 bolts). It seems like this existed for only one year (2001).

I ordered a full set of 10.5" clutch parts, but my mechanic is very worried that the replacement parts will not match up with the transmission; in the past, I had forgotten about the upgrade and he spent an infuriating day trying to figure out why the replacement parts wouldn't fit my car. But because I can't find any documentation on what that 11" upgrade kit included, I don't know what it is that would not mate up.

Anybody know what the 11" upgrade kit would have replaced that can't be undone with a straightforward clutch replacement? Ford has an expensive repair kit for this 11" setup ((YR3Z-7L596-HA), but I can't find any documentation on exactly what parts that contains either (in case I want to stick with the 11" setup but go with third-party equivalents).

Anybody have insights on this? I've not installed a clutch myself so I don't know exactly how everything looks and fits together.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Stokestack; 01-27-2017 at 06:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

11" clutch kit requires the 11" clutch and a Flywheel for the 11" clutch (If using OEM parts). Or you can get an aftermarket Flywheel that has both bolt patterns for either 10.5 or 11" There is no other difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Helomech74 View Post
    11" clutch kit requires the 11" clutch and a Flywheel for the 11" clutch (If using OEM parts). Or you can get an aftermarket Flywheel that has both bolt patterns for either 10.5 or 11" There is no other difference.
    Thanks! I was mystified by how the bolt pattern could be a factor, but after watching some videos I assume you mean the pattern around the outside of the flywheel, for the bolts that hold the pressure plate on, right?

To add further confusion to my mission: My mechanic says he took the numbers off my transmission and a dealer told him it was from 2001 (apparently the one year that an 11" 8-bolt setup was used). I don't remember ever replacing the transmission, and don't even see why that would have been necessary (given that all I apparently had to do was install the FRPP 11" upgrade kit). I suspect that he gave some part numbers from the 11" clutch kit and that's why the dealer came back with the 2001 date. Would the transmission change even make a difference? It's not like it went from a T-45 to a 3650.
    Last edited by Stokestack; 01-27-2017 at 11:37 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

The only real difference between the T45 in 96-98 Cobras and the later T45 is how the car gets the signal for the speedo (I don't recall which New Edge cars had the later T45 before switching to the 3650). I have no idea why the OEM switched to an 11" clutch setup. If you have a later model T45 in your 96 car, then you also have speedo calibrator as there is no way for your car to display the proper MPH with the later transmissions that used an OSS as opposed to a VSS (unless of course someone replaced the OSS sensor with a VSS drive gear and the correct tail shaft as well.)

If you want to go back to a 10.5" clutch, you will need an OEM flywheel with the bolt pattern for the 10.5" pressure plate. The bolt pattern for the flywheel mounting to the crankshaft has no change (8 bolt for forged crank shafts used in Cobras and manual trans Mach1's) When I speak of differences in bolt patterns, I'm referring only to the pressure plate mount holes on the flywheel.

The only real difference between the T45 in 96-98 Cobras and the later T45 is how the car gets the signal for the speedo (I don't recall which New Edge cars had the later T45 before switching to the 3650). I have no idea why the OEM switched to an 11" clutch setup. If you have a later model T45 in your 96 car, then you also have speedo calibrator as there is no way for your car to display the proper MPH with the later transmissions
    Interesting, thanks for that info. Coincidentally, my speedometer is wildly flaky at the moment. But it worked fine for the last several years. When the MPH needle finally went all the way around the face and got stuck under the peg below 0 MPH, I sent the entire instrument cluster in to a repair service. They found nothing wrong with it; merely put the needle back into position and it has resumed its intermittent behavior since then.

The speedo will often read way too high on the highway, and less often too low, and then sometimes correct. Given that the cluster is not at fault, do you have any theories as to the most likely source of that behavior?

If you want to go back to a 10.5" clutch, you will need an OEM flywheel with the bolt pattern for the 10.5" pressure plate. The bolt pattern for the flywheel mounting to the crankshaft has no change (8 bolt for forged crank shafts used in Cobras and manual trans Mach1's) When I speak of differences in bolt patterns, I'm referring only to the pressure plate mount holes on the flywheel.
    Great. I ordered the year-appropriate flywheel with the 10.5" clutch parts, so I should be good to go. Thanks much!

8. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread