Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

2002 Crown Vic J-Mod Questions...PLEASE HELP !!!

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  LEEtheVic2002 
#1 ·
I'm a Newbie here and humbly fall on my sword looking for ACCURATE recommendations for my completely stock 2002 Crown Vic...I literally bought this car from a little old lady who literally drove it to Church....Unreal...This thing is cherry and has all maintenance records....

Anyway, I've been doing research on the J-mod and have also found the YouTube video from Rizzo....There seems to be various opinions on a few things mostly based upon existing performance mods they have and HP ratings.

The ONLY mods this car will get will be:
1.) Cat back duel 2 chamber flowmaster exaust with X tube
2.) Cold Air Intake
3.) SCT X4 Mo mods for 87 and 93 octane.

I do NOT want the tranny to BANG or chirp the tires (unless WOT perhaps, lol)

Here is what I'm considering...

1.) The info I found says drill separator plate holes 2,4,5,9,11 to 7/64 (.100-.110)....Would it be safer to just drill them 3/32 (.09375) to make shifts just slightly firmer with stock HP motor ? Will this even make a difference ? I could always make them bigger later down the line if need be is my thinking.....Is this thinking correct ?

2.) I plan on leaving in both 1-2 springs but want to remove the 2-3 spring. Again, don't want harsh....Just better/ firmer daily driver.

PLEASE help me folks....I have a good shop to do the work, but they want me to call the shots on the actual specs....

Thank you, Lee

See less See more
#2 ·
Lee, I would recommend following the info on TCCoA site.

Done correctly, the shifts will be relative to the amount of throttle input. Light throttle will be practically stock albeit quicker shifts. Mat it and you better be pointed straight on dry pavement when the 1-2 shift hits.

#3 ·
J-Mod UPDATE !!!

Lee, I would recommend following the info on TCCoA site.

Done correctly, the shifts will be relative to the amount of throttle input. Light throttle will be practically stock albeit quicker shifts. Mat it and you better be pointed straight on dry pavement when the 1-2 shift hits.
J-Mod UPDATE:

OK, so I just got my 2002 stock Crown Vic back from the Trans shop here in Anderson, SC...I had them drill separator plate holes 2,4,5,9,11 to 7/64 and 3/32 for hole #10 (reverse)....I made sure they checked the gasket holes 4 and 5 to make sure they were big enough to match the separator plate holes and they were. I left all the accumulator springs in and took 88GrandMarq's advice and bought new Sonnax parts to include: pressure regulator valve, boost valve and OD servo regulator.

Here are the results: If you are looking to go up 1 notch from factory and remove the soft slushy shift points, then this is the mod for you....I absolutely love it !!! When driving around town, the shift points are defined, but nowhere is there any harshness....If you go WOT on this stock motor, the transmission shifts with confidence and grace....You can take grandma out for denture grip at the store and her teeth will stay in place until you get there....Reverse is a little more defined than the forward shifts and zero complaints...no clunking or slamming...

For me, this was TOTALLY the way to go AND YOU GUYS HERE AT THIS FORUM HELPED ME TO ACHIEVE THIS GOAL !!!

KUDOS TO YOU GUYS HERE !!!

P.S. The guys at the tranny shop were thoroughly impressed with this simple mod
.....Thanks again, Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.