New Gibtecs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: New Gibtecs

Default New Gibtecs

Thought you guys might like to take a look at a recent set of pistons Gibtec built for one of us. This is a bottom view of the piston;

Name:  Underside.png
Views: 372
Size:  359.3 KB

And this is a top view of the piston;

Name:  Side View.png
Views: 356
Size:  349.9 KB

These particular pistons were gas ported but other than that they are pretty much the typical Gibtec piston. Compression is over 9:1. The picture files lost a few bits of color though. I'll try to get some better pics.

Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array 04DeadShort's Avatar

Beautiful. I plan to get my set ordered around mid-year.

Is it possible to get these for a 5.4L? Haven't seen that brought up yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I ordered mine about a week ago. 11:1 comp, .220" h13 pins and nick suggested I get the skirts coated.

Quote Originally Posted by Z0OM View Post
    Is it possible to get these for a 5.4L? Haven't seen that brought up yet. ...
    Absolutely, Zoom. The 4.6 and 5.4 pistons tend to be the same in terms of bore and compression height. Where they differ is compression ratio for a given dome size. The same dome in a 5.4 produces significantly more compression than it does in a 4.6 so depending on the c/r you are looking for, the domes can look quite dissimilar 4.6 to 5.4.

BTW, in as much as this is your first post over here, in the event you do not know about Gibtec they are a custom piston manufacturer in the extreme. All Gibtec pistons are original works of art, cut from billet 2618 aluminum and 100% machined inside and out on a multi-axis CNC mill. The original piston starts out as a 3D solid model in Solidworks and then after going through their cam s/w heads out to the CNC floor to be created. If you hurt one you can get a single replacement that is an exact duplicate and will weigh within a gram or so, the same as the one that gets replaced. Now you don't have to buy a whole set of pistons if there is a whoopse.

The other nice attribute is they do a special deal for the Modmotors. A complete set of their pistons with H-13 tool steel pins and TotalSeal rings yada, yada come in at or just below the $1200 mark. Best of all they were designed from a clean sheet of paper exclusively for us.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    Absolutely, Zoom. The 4.6 and 5.4 pistons tend to be the same in terms of bore and compression height. Where they differ is compression ratio for a given dome size. The same dome in a 5.4 produces significantly more compression than it does in a 4.6 so depending on the c/r you are looking for, the domes can look quite dissimilar 4.6 to 5.4.

BTW, in as much as this is your first post over here, in the event you do not know about Gibtec they are a custom piston manufacturer in the extreme. All Gibtec pistons are original works of art, cut from billet 2618 aluminum and 100% machined inside and out on a multi-axis CNC mill. The original piston starts out as a 3D solid model in Solidworks and then after going through their cam s/w heads out to the CNC floor to be created. If you hurt one you can get a single replacement that is an exact duplicate and will weigh within a gram or so, the same as the one that gets replaced. Now you don't have to buy a whole set of pistons if there is a whoopse.

The other nice attribute is they do a special deal for the Modmotors. A complete set of their pistons with H-13 tool steel pins and TotalSeal rings yada, yada come in at or just below the $1200 mark. Best of all they were designed from a clean sheet of paper exclusively for us.

Ed
    Thanks for answering, I've actually known about these pistons for sometime but I didn't have a Screen name to ask and no one ever mentioned them in a 5.4l build so I stared to assume they were meant only for 4.6L. I had my eyes on pistons from JDM which are pretty much a grand but would rather have the ability to buy them separately just in case something went wrong like you mention, the for extra $200 I believe is worth it. Do you happen to know their horsepower limit?

Thanks for answering, I've actually known about these pistons for sometime but I didn't have a Screen name to ask and no one ever mentioned them in a 5.4l build so I stared to assume they were meant only for 4.6L. I had my eyes on pistons from JDM which are pretty much a grand but would rather have the ability to buy them separately just in case something went wrong like you mention, the for extra $200 I believe is worth it. Do you happen to know their horsepower limit?

I'm sure I can speak for ed in saying that you really can't put a horsepower limit on them as the tune up, rpm, FI type ect all play a role. I plan on running them in my (hopefully) 1100+ hp 4.6 and his old forgings saw plenty of 1000hp cars and they weren't even as nice as the gibtecs.

Thanks for answering, I've actually known about these pistons for sometime but I didn't have a Screen name to ask and no one ever mentioned them in a 5.4l build so I stared to assume they were meant only for 4.6L. I had my eyes on pistons from JDM which are pretty much a grand but would rather have the ability to buy them separately just in case something went wrong like you mention, the for extra $200 I believe is worth it. Do you happen to know their horsepower limit?...

Kevin (04cobrawhine) is correct. By and large pistons are not rated by horsepower. Special purpose pistons can be tailored to special operating environments. The two obvious choices here would be the specialized pistons designed for F1 and those for Nitro classes. That said a blown Modmotor piston will differ design wise from a n/a Modmotor piston in areas like skirt dimensions, crown thickness, most likely skirt cam, ring package design and placement along with stuff like skirt and crown reinforcement.

The Gibtec pistons for our engines are purpose built for a specific application, supercharged Modmotors that can run as high as 10,000+ rpm. The idea behind the Gibtec model is that the fancy engineering would be done for you so all you need to know was the bore size, stroke and compression ratio you wanted. The rest was handled by the designers.

At the time the project was begun, billet pistons were about $300 each w/o rings, pins etc. Today through the efforts of the Gibtec folks you can buy a finished billet piston w/rings, locks and tool steel wrist pins of any wall thickness you want complete and ready to run for essentially 1/2 of that piston only original $300 per piston price in this special deal from them for our engines.

It is improbable you can buy a better piston anywhere at any price. If you have the expertise and want special design considerations in your piston that is also possible because these are literally whittled out of a solid bar of 2618 aluminum. If you have not done piston design, like 99.99% of everyone else in the real world, then I would leave the design to the designers and let them know the bore, stroke, compression ratio type attributes you wanted.

Just as an example of what I am talking about, think about valve pockets for a moment and to simplify matters lets use a flat top piston. The question at hand is valve pocket depth. How do you determine the correct depth of cut to make in the top of the piston for clearance? That is one of the easier design decisions that need to be made. Let the design engineers do the heavy lifting. Compression ratio and bore size should be all you need to decide upon — that is plenty in itself. The other stuff is above most of our pay grades.

Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 03-07-2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar

Ordered a set of Gibtec pistons myself. 11:1 here. Those pictures above look a lot more than 9:1

yeah i was gonna say....

...Compression is over 9:1 ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmV8 View Post
    Ordered a set of Gibtec pistons myself. 11:1 here. Those pictures above look a lot more than 9:1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eatonualive281 View Post
    yeah i was gonna say....
    I've been waiting for someone to call me out on that and it took NINE POSTS! . Good call Malcolm!

They are, in fact, over 9:1 Although the real owner didn't give me permission to say what they were, they are in fact quite zesty in the c/r department. Here is what an 11:1 Gibtec looks like;

Name:  11-1 Gibtec.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  34.0 KB

This is the same 11:1 dome above, that I originally spec'd on the Arias pistons and now duplicated in the Gibtec space. The dome in the first post is an original work of art specifically for a big squeeze with our heads.

Here is a better photo of that dome without the missing color bits;

Name:  Side View 1.1.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  48.2 KB

Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 03-07-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Fixed broken pic link

I took one look and said DAMN, that's a lot of comp. They look beautiful. Its too bad our cylinder heads aren't translucent lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Eatonualive281 View Post
    I took one look and said DAMN, that's a lot of comp. They look beautiful. Its too bad our cylinder heads aren't translucent lol!
    They really are very nice Jeff. I didn't have the 3D CAD models for the chambers yet so we had to do it the old fashioned way and make a mold of the combustion chamber. Both approaches work, the Ford developed CAD models are just less work.

The piston w/o pins, locks or rings comes in at 401 grams, which is fairly impressive with that dome, heavy skirts and the various other reinforcing geometry in the design. Gibtec, the customer and I were all quite pleased with the final cut. Nick Plantus at Gibtec just continues to amaze me with consistently stunning performances in each new project we take on.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmV8 View Post
    Meant to comment earlier Malcolm but I was suffering from BFWT (brain fade while typing), that was the right pick c/r -wise for how you had planned to operate the new engine. I think you are going to be quite pleased when you hold the finished product(s) in your hands — even more so when you assemble the new bullet. ..

Ed

Meant to comment earlier Malcolm but I was suffering from BFWT (brain fade while typing), that was the right pick c/r -wise for how you had planned to operate the new engine. I think you are going to be quite pleased when you hold the finished product(s) in your hands — even more so when you assemble the new bullet. ..
    Yeah I'm excited. I went back and forth and wrestled a lot with the exact ratio I wanted. I keep thinking more, more, more lol but in the end I agree keeping it down to 11:1 was the right choice.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last