Reading current tune with BinaryEditor

+ Reply to Thread

Default Reading current tune with BinaryEditor

As some of you may know, Erick Brooks sadly stopped doing tuning. He was my tuner, and did a very good job with the tune. In the future, if I do modifications, I obviously need to be able to change the tune.

I plan on doing the tune myself, but I'm not starting from scratch. I need to start with what Eric already did. I've been sold on the Quarterhorse / Binary Editor package. I think with that, it's possible to read the PCM, and match it with a strategy file, and in the end, have my current tune.

Anyone here did this already ? What hardware do I need to buy ? I asked the guys at CoreTuning and they tried to push me to the Mongoose cable instead of the Quarterhorse, but I definitely prefer the real-time tuning possibilities of the Quarterhorse. I just want to make sure I got everything straight before buying.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array smashedheadcat's Avatar

I would imagine that is possible to get what Eric did off of your ecu, but it's probably not easy. People such as Eric make a living off (or used to) of these tunes, so I don't imagine it's as simple as you're thinking it is. I am not familiar with the Quarterhorse in this respect, but I would imagine that getting in touch with Eric would be the best way. If he's done with it all, just tune it yourself. Get the Lasota tuning guide and start from scratch. You'll learn more.

Thanks for the reply. I already got the Lasota tuning guide. I got in touch with Eric and he was kind enough to send me the mtf file, which is the master tune tile, in SCT format. I can simply buy the SCT Pro Racer Package and continue with his file, but I would prefer to get rid of the SCT.
    I've read online that the quarterhorse can read the PCM and dump the binary on a file. I remember 03Steve here saying something like that a while ago, but I'd like more detail before I buy all the stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Michel,

I have BE and the Quarterhorse. They work very nicely together. Steve told me he had experienced some operational issues using a Quarterhorse. I have not had the same experience but I am perhaps using mine differently or have a more recent firmware release.

You will need a strategy file. My suggestion is to buy it from POPs Racing. Adam Maher (may have misspelled his name) provides an excellent AMZ2 strategy for the BE tool. The Mongoose will allow you to directly flash the OEM ECU with out the need for a X-Cal whatever number from SCT. What the Quarterhorse will allow you to do is both tune in real time as the engine runs but also data log at stunning speeds simply not possible through the OBDII port.

Once you are satisfied with the tune you can save it to disk with BE. If you want to remove the <begin edit>Quarterhorse<end edit> and directly flash the OEM ECU, the Mongoose cable will allow you to do this. If you continue to use the <begin edit>Quarterhorse<end edit>you will need to periodically replace the onboard battery to maintain the program in Quarterhorse memory. When you replace the battery you will need to reload your tune into the Quarterhorse again. Do not be put off by this event it is lightening fast compared to SCT software loads.

BTW, FWIW if you follow Don LaSota's manual and do what he suggests you will build an excellent base tune for your engine that you can build off of in terms of tailoring it to your particular build.

Ed

p.s. you do not need X-Cal type devices to datalog or load tunes with Quarterhorse. The Quarterhorse h/w has an USB port that goes directly to your laptop and records at speeds that are an order of magnitude (if not greater) faster than OBDII speeds. As I understand it, the Mongoose will also allow you to datalog directly from BE to your laptop also but at OBDII speeds.
    Last edited by eschaider; 07-11-2017 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Replaced Mongoose with Quarterhorse

Thanks again Ed.

I got confirmation from another forum that I can in fact read the tune Eric did, and edit it with BE. So I will purchase a Quarterhorse, BE and licenses from Adam Marrer @ CoreTuning.Net
    My strategy will be ZXA4 since I have 97 GT and not a Terminator.

I'm very impress by the capabilities I've seen of the Quarterhorse paired with BE. Can't wait to get my hands on it and get rid of my SCT.

You will love it. The best part is getting away from the arrogant SCT folks.

Ed

I purchased a Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor. As Ed said, I love it !

Install was very easy, the most important thing for me is that I was able to successfully read the current tune! Eric Brooks did a great job with my tune and I really wanted to use it as a startup tune. I tried to change the idle RPM just to see if it's working. 2 seconds after I pressed update, the rpm moved to the new idle RPM so it really works!

Thanks everyone for the help
    Last edited by BlueScreen; 09-03-2017 at 02:31 PM.

As far as tuning s/w for the OEM ECU goes I don't think you can make a better investment, Michel.

With BE going forward to new generation ECU's (if you choose to in the future) is simply a matter of an email to Clint at Core tuning telling them which one you will be using, getting one of Adam's strategies and you are good to go. It is one impressive piece of s/w and the Quarterhorse makes it especially nice to work with because of the immediacy of the change.

Glad you got it and glad you found it as useful as I did.

Ed

11. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread