Main stud nuts not full thread engagement

+ Reply to Thread

Default Main stud nuts not full thread engagement

So i got the crank in my aluminator and torqued down and the nuts don't have full thread engagement. The 10mm are flush and the 8mm are about 2 threads short. That would take 4-5 full turns to get the stud the ideal 1-2 threads above the nut which seems too much. Any thoughts?

Name:  IMG_5404.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5406.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5405.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5407.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  61.1 KB
    Last edited by 04cobrawhine; 05-10-2017 at 11:27 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

You are using the wrong washers, Ken. Those are thicker than the kit washers that ARP sells with the studs. Put the kit washers back on and you should be OK. If either of the studs just comes to the top of the nut with the correct washers, back the stud out 1/2 to 1 turn and you should be good to go.

If you have to back out the studs it is usually because someone went into the mains with a bottoming tap to reach for that extra thread or so of engagement. When the did this they sunk the stud too far into the block. Just back it out a turn and you will be OK. When it comes time to tighten the fasteners give them a good snugging with a box wrench while holding them with an Allen wrench to prevent them from again going too far in. At this point you are ready to torque the studs.

Ed

I thought those washers looked a little big. Unfortunately those are in fact what came with the kit so I guess a call to arp is in order.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

So I called arp and it turns out those are the correct washers.

The stud threads into the block 20 full turns. If I back the stud out 3 full turns that gives me 1-2 threads showing above the nut when torqued down. Is that acceptable?

You will be OK with backing the studs out 1 or 2 threads, Ken. I am just puzzled by the length differences. Some of the guys recently had ARP studs that appeared to be too long and it turned out the coarse thread side that goes into the block was incorrectly formed. I had not seen the too short variation of the problem until your build. It may be that someone used a bottoming tap or ??? maybe ARP is also experiencing a thread placement that is too high on the stud.

All that junk not withstanding backing out 1-2 threads has no ill effects. Be sure to hold the stud in place with an Allen wrench as you begin to tighten the nut so it does not screw back into the main web as you bring up the torque. Usually it is adequate to just snug it with a box wrench while restraining the stud and you will be good to finish up the torquing.

Weird stuff ...

Ed

8. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread