99 Vortech Cobra Idle Issue/smoke - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Figured I would give an update to this poor car. We ended up taking it to a shop to pull the motor and it just sat with no work being done. Got tired of just waiting around and drug it home. We ended up selling it as a roller to a member of our local mustang club. He then ended up doing the sensible thing we should have done a year ago and dropped the oil to take a look. Welp the oil looked like it had been spray painted silver and had some nice chunks in it. lots of threaded pieces of metal. Id say that motor has turned its last rpm in anger. We are helping him throw together a new longblock and slap it in. Sad ending to this story but I figure for a Modular motor built in mid 2002 and having over 110k miles over 450whp isn't the worst thing in the world. Time to make more power for longer this time. Hopefully when we get the motor out we can get some carnage pics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array smashedheadcat's Avatar

That is quite the service life with the factory engine. My OEM 97 shortblock lasted about a week (killed it in January 2002) at 435rwhp.

This car actually had a built motor put in around 2002. Its original motor from 99 blew up from stock usage according to the original owner. The built setup lasted over 100k miles at 450+ whp. All in all not terrible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

We will know soon how tore up this poor motor is. Im betting the bearing went round and round plus pieces of rod are gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Buddy got the motor out and the number 1 connecting rod bearing is the culprit. It spun right round. Ill get some pics up later. Pickup screen did its job and stopped most of the big stuff but I think some metal got around everywhere in this poor motor.

I think these bearings are smoked. Pistons look good and the walls arent terrible but they aren't great either. Time to see whats salvageable and rebuild.Name:  facebook_1525273733036.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  48.7 KBName:  facebook_1525273694820.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  30.6 KB

Motor is torn down and waiting for a slot at the race shop. Do you guys think it is worth it to have the vortech rebuilt? It looks like the oil pump screen caught it all and the pulley spins clean. I don't want the Vortech to have some metal hanging out inside of it that will make its way back through the system though.

If you've never had one apart before Kyle so you know the rest of that story. What you might want to consider is having a Vortech shop take a look for you. Ask them if they can give you the 25¢ tour of the insides along with a suggested owner maintenance routine and recommended maintenance intervals. Some shop will and some won't (give the 25¢ tour) but I would expect all would minimally suggest a recommended user level maintenance schedule. The obvious other place to check for stuff like this is Vortech.

Ed

We ended up selling the car to a member of our local car club when we realized how serious the internal damage was. I have been trying to convince him to get the Vortech rebuild or looked at. Its a shame that this car met its end this way, but my dad ended up buying his first 03 cobra after selling this one.

Motor has been waiting its turn at the race shop. Looks like the piston gave the valve a love touch. Just enough to give it a slight impression. Means cylinder head for work for sure and also new pistons. I was never in favor of reusing the pistons anyway so good excuse. Just some downtime until Gibtecs arrive.

13. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12