new build process

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Default new build process

Previous combo was a teksid stroked 4.6 (3.80 Kellogg crank, manley rods and diamond custom piston) COG driven procharger with 100shot....couldn't ask for more. Last year decided to switch to a standalone and got a great deal on a used FAST XFI 2.0 and pulled the trigger. Decided while it was apart I needed to upgrade my roll bar to a cage.

Anyways...fast forward to install of XFI and we noticed overheating issues. We assumed was because I switched to a different (smaller) radiator but was actually an engine problem. I had moved sleeve #4 UP in the block. After tearing everything down I made the decision to switch to a turbo setup.

I will update more when things move along

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Man, dumping the Procharger in favor of a turbo, looking forward to this. I've considered doing the same, but I just love the sound of the Procharger under the hood :D

Name:  IMG_2599.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  75.2 KB
    this is a look at the Teksid sleeve on number 4...

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Name:  IMG_2526.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  57.8 KBnew block at machine shop...upgraded rods to billet olivers and JE big bore pistons...sticking around 9.5:1...

Went thru Caleb at CG fab for HOT side....stainless 4v race version. 60mm wastegate flange. He made them and had to me within 4 weeks and I promptly sent to get ceramic coated....lol should have just went with mild steel...lolName:  IMG_2605.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  89.4 KBName:  IMG_2606.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  80.6 KBName:  IMG_2608.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  84.2 KBName:  IMG_2610.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  80.6 KB

I don't know how much boost you plan on running with the BOSS50 block, but I suggest using dead soft copper gaskets along with O-rings in the heads with the receiver grooves in the block. You'll need to use the figure 8 pattern with the BOSS block, but when done correctly, you won't have any issues with head gaskets and high boost on that block.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEMAGS View Post
    Did you have that block re-sleeved at some point? Kind of odd for the sleeve move like that, never seen it before on a stock block.

Quote Originally Posted by Helomech74 View Post
    I don't know how much boost you plan on running with the BOSS50 block, but I suggest using dead soft copper gaskets along with O-rings in the heads with the receiver grooves in the block. You'll need to use the figure 8 pattern with the BOSS block, but when done correctly, you won't have any issues with head gaskets and high boost on that block.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you have that block re-sleeved at some point? Kind of odd for the sleeve move like that, never seen it before on a stock block.
    that is the plan with the block....and that was a stock teksid from a 98.

What's the plan with the procharger setup, going to sell it all off?

What's the plan with the procharger setup, going to sell it all off?
    actually sold the whole setup...once I decided on going this route I sold it. Went faster than I expected...so I wasn't asking for enough $$. I have a quite a few things to get still...I want to redo my cooling system as well.

Getting engine prepped for cleanup
    Attached Images Attached Images  

More pics
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Which manual brake setup is that?

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEMAGS View Post
    Just stumbled across your thread, Dom. If Jim had not asked the re-sleeving question I would have. The cast in sleeves that Ford and Teksid used did not require a register at the bottom of the bore to locate them because the OD of the sleeve was intentionally left as a ragged surface to anchor the sleeve in the aluminum block.

From the picture of the sleeve that moved, it looks like a flangeless aftermarket replacement. One of the cue's is the visual appearance of being a thicker wall than OEM and the other is the movement down the block's sleeve bore. The external surface on the OEM sleeve is so heavily textured that I would expect it to literally tear aluminum from the sleeve bore in the block to allow vertical movement.

Although this is not much help since you have already bought the BOSS block, a very attractive fix for the Teksid family blocks is the use of flanged aftermarket LA sleeves with heavier than stock wall thickness. Here is a pic of Mofasta's block after one of those sleeve installs.

Name:  Sleeves.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  70.2 KB

I am strongly prejudiced in favor of the o-ring solution Jim has previously recommended for supercharged engine with our 4 bolt head bolt pattern. It sounds like you had already decided on the same solution.

When AJ last ran his car he had to short shifted second to control a wheelstand as I recall. The additional loading it subjected the MLS gaskets to caused a pushed out head gasket failure that burned a block and a cylinder head. The copper head gaskets and stainless wire in the heads will nicely solve that problem.

Ed

Yeah...I was originally TOLD by my original engine builder it was not sleeved. He no longer is in business after his son passed. (JT) Soooo....anyways, the rotating assembly though looks really good though BUT being a stroker package I went against using it in my turbo build and use standard stroke but with upgraded rods (oliver billet and big bore JE pistons)

Which manual brake setup is that?
    strange with wilwood Pvalve

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last