Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Cobra updates 2017

26K views 91 replies 19 participants last post by  BADASS03SVT 
#1 ·
Haven't posted much lately here or even on social media. This is one of the few forums I still request though and wanted to give those that don't do the FB or IG a looks at what I have going on. If you do have FB or IG hit me up though!

IG - The_Gingernator
FB - Jake Conant

For most this is a bit extreme but if you wanna go fast this is what you have to do! I went consitant 7.60s at the last race last year which is on the brink of a 7.50 cert cage and i was in an 8.50 cage. Seen too many crashes lately and doing this on 275s I said I was going to update the chassis for this year. Unfortunately my chassis guy broke his foot a week before my car was supposed to go there and he was out of work for 9 weeks. So I'm a little behind...lol

Here is how the car sat in April. Was like this in January but that damn broken foot delay.... I cut the cage out and stripped it of everything including all wiring....and some other stuff....

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Lots of work Jake! Very nicely thought out and executed — as always.

Because we live these evolutions as they are occurring it is easy to sometimes forget the humble beginnings we started from and how far we have come. When you think about one of these cars in its ported Eaton form with a shot of nitrous and then make the comparison to where guys like you have gone with the car today it is, well monumental.

Beautiful craftsmanship and beautiful car!

Ed

#7 ·
yes for sure

#8 ·
this go around, unlike others, has spiraled quite a bit. Reason being is once we dug into it and I picked out things to do down the road I decided I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS AGAIN.....so lets just do it now.

For instance the rear end. I was still on the 8.8 with 33 spline axles. Do people go quicker yes but the weak link is the ring gear. Pro 9" gears are softer material and can take the hit of a 1.1 60'. It's just a matter of WHEN on the 8.8 stuff. Plus we could build the new stuff around my 8.8 and then when I decide to go 9", Id just have to build a 9" to go around what we do this year. Just done with all the doing and redoing so

#6 ·
I love seeing this car progress.

#9 ·
My main concerns this year were weight and safety. Like I said before its almost every week you hear of another crash and things happen much faster at this level. So one of my first purchases was a fire suppression system and some new brakes. Met the guys at TBM Brakes at PRI and they are some nice pieces. They've been sitting in my garage since February. I'll get more into weights and whatnot later but I saved weight over my Strange Pro Race brakes and I'm not talking a pound or two. and TBM claims more stopping power and reduced drag with their caliper kits.

#10 ·
SMART move on that. I have re-done wayyyy to many things and wasted a lot of TIME and money in the process. I go back and say I never wanted to make my car into a full track car but it just made its way to that point. If I would have just made up my mind a few years ago I probably wouldn't be redoing my cage, safety, rear seat area, brakes, trans and now upgrading the motor....lol.

#12 ·
thank you

#13 ·
One thing I will not do is a fiberglass dash. Sure it weighs 4lbs but I have yet to see one looks nice. I want to keep the car stock appearing inside an out so the stock dash is staying!

Welding has been going on for a few weeks now. All I'm touching is from the firewall back due to $ and time constraints. Plus I'm just not sure if I want to front clip the car so It'll give me some time to think about it. I think the car is going to end up in a really good spot weight wise so I may not even have to.

I did pick up a new intake hat from Shelby Mike Racing back in December. It utilizes the whole IC with a ported lower. Not sure if Ill see any improvement there or not. About 20% of the IC core was blocked before with no intake porting.

#14 ·
Your welder is a real Picasso, Jake. Those welds are nothing short of beautiful!

Hard to tell on the GT500 style IC because it is already larger than a 03/04 IC but more IC can never hurt. The new manifold design definitely uses the entire IC. Did you use one of KB's "Bigun" intercoolers or is that OEM Ford?

Impressive design approach and attention to detail as always. Can't wait to see the new car run this year.

Ed

#16 ·
Your welder is a real Picasso, Jake. Those welds are nothing short of beautiful!

Hard to tell on the GT500 style IC because it is already larger than a 03/04 IC but more IC can never hurt. The new manifold design definitely uses the entire IC. Did you use one of KB's "Bigun" intercoolers or is that OEM Ford?

Impressive design approach and attention to detail as always. Can't wait to see the new car run this year.

Ed
i did a KB IC from the get go. Have some data to compare so we will see

- - - Updated - - -

Here is before and after with what I did to my dash. It now weighs 22lbs.

shaving 10lbs is nice! I'll know weight in a week or two but hoping for more like 12-15lbs.

#18 ·
I'm way beyond that!

- - - Updated - - -

More on this later....some prob have no clue what it even is!

The car ran flawlessly last season <30psi and into the mid 7s on stock coils. Yes the Haltech does an excellent job running those things! I was going to keep them but just didnt want to run into problems with this season being a short one for me. So the Haltech marine coils are going in.

#22 ·
correct..got em from Haltech..pricey little puppies

#21 ·
Very nice even as street coils, Jim.

The downside, if there is one, is initial cost, secondary wire maintenance because of the extremely high energy (>100mj per plug is about 5x an OEM COP) and then there is always the issue that each plug firing is akin to a lightening bolt strike so there might just be a modest amount of additional RFI in the general vicinity of the front of your car.

On the plus side if it was combustible and in that hole, it has been vaporized after the ignition event. :)

Ed

#24 ·
that would be sweet.....

another little piece to the puzzle.....this goes along with that Ford Power pic

hmmm

decided to finally remove my stock chin spoiler. 34k miles and a few wheelies its pretty beat up.

#25 ·
:shok:

- - - Updated - - -

just a typical Saturday night....

#26 ·
I've had these of months.....finally got them together

new Shelby Mike Racing billet intake hat

#27 ·
That is all so badass! Thank you for sharing your exploits with us.

#29 ·
haha....no problem!

#30 ·
Just saw the Shelby Mike billet intake Jake. That thing is flat gorgeous! Shelby Mike really did a nice job on it. Judging from the appearance there has to be a lot of CNC spindle time to make it that pretty. I'll bet the price brings tears to your eyes. :)

Ed

#31 ·
Just saw the Shelby Mike billet intake Jake. That thing is flat gorgeous! Shelby Mike really did a nice job on it. Judging from the appearance there has to be a lot of CNC spindle time to make it that pretty. I'll bet the price brings tears to your eyes. :)

Ed
not terrible to be honest. Wasn't much more than the sheetmetal one I used last year and looks and should perform better

#32 ·
some more welding....

started assembling the motor

#34 ·
getting the good stuff now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.