5.4 32v DOHC Naviagor upgrades
+ Reply to Thread

Default 5.4 32v DOHC Naviagor upgrades

Hi All,

Didn't see a better spot to put this, so figured I'd start here. I'm going to be an oddball on this forum, as I've got a Navigator engine actually in a Navigator! I've tried getting information on the truck forums but the 32v is just too unicorny I guess. An LS it aint! It is kind of amusing to look at the Navigator engine as the original of what was eventually used in the Cobra R, Ford GT and GT500.. not a bad family tree there.

Anyway, between the engine being a whopping 300hp, and the Navigator being about 6,200lb curb weight you might guess it has a little trouble getting out of its own way sometimes. Add in that now we have a ~4,500lb trailer we will be towing with a GCW of a little over 11klb and I'd sure like to have some more guts to it. Other problem is the 4R100 gear spacing is a little too wide but not sure there's a reasonable way to swap in a newer 6 or 10 speed.

Now where I'm going to be oddball compared to most of you is I'd prefer to see more low end torque than high end HP, particularly in the 2-3k range. More top end power certainly wouldn't be a bad thing, just that I don't ever want to sacrifice the lower end to get there.

Now, I assume that I could get there with some sort of forced induction, but not quite ready to tackle that from an expense/complexity standpoint.

From what I read elsewhere my stock intake manifold is as good as it gets for the low RPM torque.

So right now I'm just looking at the two "quick and easy, but maybe not worthwhile" options.. exhaust & CAI (Cold Air Intake).

Now normally I go with CAI being a waste of $$ other than engine bay dress up, but according to Dash Command (OBDII data logger) my IAT is 10-15 degrees warmer than ambient (in my Focus ST with stock intake it's always within 2 degrees of ambient). It seems like 10-15 degrees would be enough to make a slight difference. According to my math (might be faulty here as I'm not too familiar with this area) that makes for 20% less dense air, which seems like it could have an impact. So it seems like there might be room for actual improvement here, but the question is, whehter something like a K&N FIPK is a good route, or if a home-brew is better. The Navigator intake has lots of complicated resonating chambers, and my guess is that air in those may be heat-soaking and a straight-tube would benefit me. The stock air-box has a trumpet into the fender so it's a "Cold Air Intake" I'm just not getting "cold air".

Now with exhaust, like the intake, they were obviously more interested in the Lincoln-like silence than performance, and so I'm guessing there's some power to be freed up on that end, but not sure there's anything useful for the rpm range I want, or if it's only top end to gain here. Also I haven't found anyone that makes headers for the Navi, and usually biggest gains are on that end rather than at the "cat-back". But open to suggestions here.

I'm also interested in more substantial suggestions, just trying to focus on easy stuff right now, and don't want to turn it into a money pit. At 153k miles on a vehicle worth ~$6k spending $5k on engine upgrades seems like a losing strategy, though we do plan to keep it for the long haul. A new Navigator outfitted like I want has a $91k sticker, so I think we'll be sticking with the '04 for a while!

Name:  20170616_154434759_iOS.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  81.8 KB

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Don't waste your money on CAI and exhaust mods. If you are lucky you will get 15 or 20 ft/lbs of TQ improvement — If you are lucky,

The only thing that is going to make a significant improvement in engine torque output where you want it is a PD blower. You can flounder around with bolt on stuff and all you will do is spend money — a lot of which you could have spent on the blower.

Ed

Well I'd be ecstatic to get 15 lb-ft from bolt ons!

But just out of curiosity
    1) does anyone make a "bolt on" forced induction setup for Navigator (I haven't found any)?
    2) in absence of above will GT500 setup work, or do I need new heads, and possibly more?
    3) are stock Navigator bottom end/internals beefy enough for forced induction?

Quote Originally Posted by mackguy View Post
    Well I'd be ecstatic to get 15 lb-ft from bolt ons!

But just out of curiosity
    1) does anyone make a "bolt on" forced induction setup for Navigator (I haven't found any)?
    Ford GT500 is as close to a bolt on as possible.

2) in absence of above will GT500 setup work, or do I need new heads, and possibly more?
    Absolutely

3) are stock Navigator bottom end/internals beefy enough for forced induction?
    Any time you add a blower and turn up the boost to actually produce more power, you will need supercharged internals no matter the blower type. When Ford went from a 300 HP n/a 4.6 to a 8psi boosted 390 HP supercharged 4.6 they went to a forged crank, Manley rods and new pistons. You should too.

Ed

I thought the Navi engine had a forged steel crank to begin with?
    And basically pursuing any route that requires bottom end work is way out of scope, unless I just found a nice GT500 engine to swap in for like $500..

Just looking to free up some torque to help get up the hills without needing the downshift into 2nd and winding out to 4krpm. Comp Cams I saw has some cams for 1200-5k, but those are a stretch at $1k as well.

Guess I'll just keep it stock for now then and maybe fiddle with some things I can do for free.

Shame Escalade got the better engine, and Navi got all the other goodies..

7. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread