9 thread heads with broken stud

+ Reply to Thread

Default 9 thread heads with broken stud

I just got a pair of 9 thread heads and while removing the exhaust studs, all came out but one. The one snapped in half halfway down in the hole. Any advice on getting it out? I head they're stainless steel studs...
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Take it over to an EDM shop and have them remove it.

Ed

What ed said..

I would do it myself on most stuff..but with this I would send it out..

When I had my heads checked ,shop put inserts in a couple of holes..

I have long tubed and used bolts supplied when I should have just left studs in..

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input! Any reason on having an EDM shop do it? I'm very new to the aspects of EDM so don't quite know when or why you'd use that route over having a shop drill it out on a press with a left hand bit.

EDM is the best way to remove a broken stud from a valuable part w/o damage. Of course as the guy who writes the checks the ultimate decision is yours. If you know of a better process you should use the process you prefer.

Ed

Thanks ED! Ill see if I can find an EDM shop. May need an insert anyway however... Looks like half of the stud hole has gacked threads now. Darn. I'll get it checked out.

Default Damage

Upon teardown, I found a few scored lobes. Not terrible, but definitely going to need machining. I got these for 40 a head. Thoughts on machining/repair, or just get a good set without scored lobes?

- - - Updated - - -

Upon teardown, I found a few scored lobes. Not terrible, but definitely going to need machining. I got these for 40 a head. Thoughts on machining/repair, or just get a good set without scored lobes?

That happened to me when I yanked mine off... Ford Performance Solutions did my head work and took care it for me... ...works great now. Good luck. Mine was a bolt though.. no stud.. I'm the stud. Bahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by rainyp71 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

If you have scored lobes there is no upside to re-machine them. Just throw them away and get new cams.

Ed

12. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread