Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

4.6l Home decoration

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BlueScreen 
#1 ·
I wanted to do some home decoration with engine parts since many year. I was finally able to do just that this summer. Tought I would share with you.

First project, very simple and quick to do

My old flywheel from the time I had a manual transmission in the car, a GT crank, and my crank pulley. I had a 18" custom glass made.

Now for the more interesting project, I wanted to do a coffee table with an engine block since, well, before I trash my engine.

The biggest challenge was figuring out how to stick the connecting rods/pistons on the deck. I used my old ARP 8740 head studs, and weldded their nuts on the rods.

I can install the "piston assembly" in the hole where the head studs normally goes.

I had a custom 29" x 29" glass made, with rounded corner that match the pistons radius.

Another challenge was figuring out how to raise the block a little since the glass would be too low. I cutted some intake valve, and welded the tip to oil pan bolts. Covered the weld with valve spring. I think the result is very nice, and allow me to adjust the height on each corner individually.

End result:

I still have a lot of engine part left, and I want to make some lamps with them. Here's a couple inspiration of what I want to do later on.

Lamp with pistons and connecting rod

Lamp with a camshaft. Maybe I'll use brake disks for some of them, if not crank pulley.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very creative Michel!

I like the look they give the room. The coffee table is particularly nice and I really like the way you handled the lamps although, the camshaft lamp looks like a pushrod lamp :)

Ed

#3 ·
Thanks Ed.

The lamps are images I took on the Internet of what I want to do, they're not done yet. When I have some spare time I'll start to work on that.

#5 ·
Yes it is. It's my old sleeved teksid that I damaged a couple years ago. It's 100% my mistake and it's quite embarrassing.
I had a small oil leak, a couple drops here and there once in a while. I did not care about checking oil level since I have a 9qts pan and a couple drop is next to nothing. One night I went road racing. After the first race, I heard something that sounded like and exhaust leak. I went for another race. Then I drove the car home, went to the restaurant with the car the same night. No problem other than an exhaust leak sound.
After a couple days trying to figured out what's going on, it turned out to be NOT an exhaust leak but a knocking engine. When I removed the oil drain plug, I had a little short of 3 liters of oil in the pan. A couple drops here and there is what I was seeing, but it appears that I lost a lot more that I couldn't see. Most of the cylinder walls and pistons where scored. I ended up buying another teksid, instead of having this once re-sleeved. A very expensive and stupid mistake, and I have it right in my face everyday to remind me of it. I now check all the oil every day at the track...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.