newbie on tuning couple of questions

+ Reply to Thread

Default newbie on tuning couple of questions

I'm driving a stock 96 mark VIII. After a recent fix of a long term problem waking up the performance i'm hungry for more! I've been reading hundreds of posts about various tuners/chips/calibrators. I've read a couple of conflicting issues I'd like clarified.

1. canned tune. I've heard that tuners come with canned tunes that will improve stock performance slightly, i've also read that tuners are blank and have to be dynoed to get a tune.

2.turners can change shift points and shift duration. Again conflicting posts some say a tuner can change the shifting of an automatic, others say no because the EEC doesn't control the trans it just accepts input from trans.

3. Fan off and on temps can be adjusted as can torque convertor total lock up. again conflicting posts.

4. tuners can let you run regular (87 octane) fuels. can help with Ethanol issues as well

So i'm want together the straight answers and are the answers dependent on the brand/type of tuner?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by baylensman View Post
    I'm driving a stock 96 mark VIII. After a recent fix of a long term problem waking up the performance i'm hungry for more! I've been reading hundreds of posts about various tuners/chips/calibrators. I've read a couple of conflicting issues I'd like clarified.

1. canned tune. I've heard that tuners come with canned tunes that will improve stock performance slightly, i've also read that tuners are blank and have to be dynoed to get a tune.
    Some do some don't. Doesn't matter which you buy, if you buy one, you want to have a professional tuning shop do the retune for you.

2.turners can change shift points and shift duration. Again conflicting posts some say a tuner can change the shifting of an automatic, others say no because the EEC doesn't control the trans it just accepts input from trans.
    Some do some don't. Doesn't matter which you buy, if you buy one, you want to have a professional tuning shop do the retune for you.

3. Fan off and on temps can be adjusted as can torque convertor total lock up. again conflicting posts.

4. tuners can let you run regular (87 octane) fuels. can help with Ethanol issues as well

So i'm want together the straight answers and are the answers dependent on the brand/type of tuner?
    This is a very bad idea and a bigger job to do correctly than it sounds like. It is how you kill otherwise perfectly good engines. Buy the gas the engine was built and tuned to run on. If you can't afford the gas to run the engine you should not own the car and definitely should not be tampering with these sorts of primal forces of automotive technology.

Ed

Okay I get it. I do want it "Dyno" tuned. but some shops only use certain turners. I was trying to clarify the best to fit my parameters as listed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

1. I am not aware of any 'canned tune' for a Mark VIII.

2. The shifts points, line pressure and torque converter parameters are open to tuning.

3. Cooling fan on/off limits can be adjusted as well as torque converter lockup parameters.

4. Virtually all fueling parameters are tunable for your fuel of choice and often the primary purpose of a tune is to optimize power output with a certain fuel.

I use and can only speak of SCT tuning products, but there are others available. Choose wisely as it can be costly and not something you want to change paths with. Be aware that many shops are capable with the "Mustang" platform but less are adept at maximizing the 4R70W safely and even less are experienced with the FN10 platform of the Mark VIII.

It is definitely something you want to do your homework on as far as a vendor and dyno tune provider. The key is the knowledge of the tuner and word of mouth is the best advertisement. The hardware pricing is pretty much the same across the spectrum, so not much money will be saved unless you luck out and find a used programmer from a trusted source. Generally speaking you're looking at 2 hours plus dyno time assuming there are no mechanical issues. Some shops have set pricing but most have a base price for the hardware and tune plus the dyno costs by the hour.

What JP (Driller) is suggesting to you, IMO is spot on. One of the things you might want to consider is using IMR deletes and then going to something like a Mach I / 03 Cobra ECU. In Mach I mode it is a very nice n/a system.

If you later decide to put a blower on the engine a software upgrade to either Ford's AMZ strategies will give you very nice supercharged support w/o the need to do a wholesale engine controls replacement. An extra added attraction of the 03/04 ECU is the faster, better more comprehensive etc n/a and boosted support.

There are basically three programming s/w tools for our engines; SCT, Sniper's Delta Force and Binary Editor (BE). DiabloSport also has a dealer only system but it is priced in the multiple thousands of dollars. I have a personal preference / bias for BE because of the arrogant way SCT folks treat you when you call for guidance and the impressive capabilities of the BE / EA software suite.

My guidance call to SCT was made because I was putting the engine and ECU into a non 03/04 Cobra. That meant the CA assigned vehicle vin # did not reference properly for their authentication code. When I tried to explain the situation they did not want to hear anything about it and were both unhelpful, argumentative and rude, even as I would attempt to calm down their emotions.

This was all before the purchase sort of behavior. When asked if I could buy someone else's SCT ProRacer package the first response was yes and when I asked how to go about it so SCT did not have heart burn, the tech guy I was speaking to said he had to give me over to another person who could explain the process to me.

The "other" person went ballistic (again) when I suggested buying someone else's PRP package and informing SCT so everything was on the up and up. They demanded to know who told me that because they needed to be fired! Of course I refused to provide any information. I suspect that if this type of pre-sales experience is possible, anything (even worse if that is possible), is available and likely after SCT has your money.

Delta Force s/w is/was not quite as complete as the SCT s/w offering. The BE software does it all (including stuff SCT charges extra for or may not do) and it adds one very attractive feature. If you use the Moates QuarterHorse you tune in real time while the engine is running over a USB connection. Data logging is literally an order of magnitude faster than the OBDII port and you do not need an X-Cal anything to load the tune because you are changing it in real time, in the ECU while the engine is running! There is no download / upload time because everything happens in real time right off the notebook as soon as you click the mouse.

Some guys have used a bluetooth to USB gizmo to allow wireless tuning. I like the idea but at this time I am a little cautious until I better understand how they wirelessly maintain data integrity.

Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 08-08-2017 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar

8. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread