Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Few 06 GT Questions

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  eschaider 
#1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum got a couple questions: I recently purchased a 2006 mustang gt that has a powerdyne supercharger among other things. The owner that had it before me didn't know much about cars, but the owner before him did a whole bunch to the car. Seems as if he did a good job but it's hard to tell of course. I've got a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with:

The car has a water-methanol injection system from prometh, but I have no idea how to tell if it's working or not? I've got two lights on the dash of my car, a red and green that are hooked into the water-methanol system, but they almost never light up, the green never has and the red only does once in a blue moon. I've followed the wires so I can tell you where they lead if that will help. I'm just looking for a way to tell if this system is working or if I need to tweak it to get it working right.

Also, I have BBK Fuel rails and injectors, and occasionally the passenger side will spray fuel between the large bolt at the end and the body of the rail, but it will then stop. Also on the passenger side it appears to be some fuel pooled up where the injectors go into the engine. Do I just need to replace the o-rings on the injectors to keep them from leaking? Has anybody had any problems with these BBK Injectors?

Next, I put in a trunk button and recently changed all of the interior LEDs to red, and I can't exactly remember when, but now my mustang will not lock via the keyfob or the interior buttons. I can still lock it manually, and all manners of unlocking work fine. I read some on this issue and saw that the actuators will sometimes go bad, however I do not believe this to be the issue. When troubleshooting, I was reading through the owner's manual and saw how to reprogram the keyfobs. While reprogramming the keyfobs the doors confirm reprogramming by locking and then unlocking the doors. When the car does this, the doors lock just fine, which leads me to believe that there is some other issue disallowing the car from locking.

Finally, I was seeing if you guys would be able to tell if my stang was cammed or not. It has a heck of an idle, but not super lopey. It's not exactly street friendly so I don't know if it's just an aggressive tune or cammed. If I uploaded a video do you think you could tell?

Sorry just remembered one last question. When I go to take off if my car isn't warmed up really well it hesitates and makes these loud banging or popping noises or something hard to describe. I've heard this is piston slap and as the car warms up it stops because the pistons expand. I also thought this may be pinging, so I was wondering if you guys thought trying a higher octane gas was worth a try to see if it stops the issue? I'm running 91 right now.

Sorry I know this was a lengthy post full of questions, I'm just trying to get a few things figured out so I can figure out what all has been done to this car and whether it's been done correctly before the car blows up or something lol. I got burnt on my last car, it was totally rigged up by the previous owner and a few months later the engine blew. Trying to prevent that on this (much more expensive and awesome) car. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey guys new to the forum got a couple questions: I recently purchased a 2006 mustang gt that has a powerdyne supercharger among other things. The owner that had it before me didn't know much about cars, but the owner before him did a whole bunch to the car. Seems as if he did a good job but it's hard to tell of course. I've got a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with:

The car has a water-methanol injection system from prometh, but I have no idea how to tell if it's working or not? I've got two lights on the dash of my car, a red and green that are hooked into the water-methanol system, but they almost never light up, the green never has and the red only does once in a blue moon. I've followed the wires so I can tell you where they lead if that will help. I'm just looking for a way to tell if this system is working or if I need to tweak it to get it working right.
Water meth injection can provide improved anti detonation qualities and is frequently sold as a power improver / anti-detonatant for supercharged engines. Both the anti-detonation and the power improvement attributes are correct within limits. The systems are not that popular because, benefits not withstanding, they tend to be empty when you want to use them. The maintenance factor can become a nuisance, get skipped and then you are in trouble.

Also, I have BBK Fuel rails and injectors, and occasionally the passenger side will spray fuel between the large bolt at the end and the body of the rail, but it will then stop. Also on the passenger side it appears to be some fuel pooled up where the injectors go into the engine. Do I just need to replace the o-rings on the injectors to keep them from leaking? Has anybody had any problems with these BBK Injectors?
If you have fuel leaks you should immediately change o-rings and check fuel rail / injector / manifold alignment and fit. Fuel leaks are a serious problem that will burn your car to the ground in a NY minute. There have been manufacturers that do not know how to properly make fuel rails that have had fuel leakage. Gasoline in a hot engine compartment is like playing Russian Roulette with extra ammo - it brings bad karma.

BBK does not list injectors on their site as a product they sell. They may have at one time but I don't remember it occurring. Ford has a rich assortment of injectors that are flowed and perform predictably. I would give serious thought to replacing out of date and unavailable product with current and available product.

Next, I put in a trunk button and recently changed all of the interior LEDs to red, and I can't exactly remember when, but now my mustang will not lock via the keyfob or the interior buttons. I can still lock it manually, and all manners of unlocking work fine. I read some on this issue and saw that the actuators will sometimes go bad, however I do not believe this to be the issue. When troubleshooting, I was reading through the owner's manual and saw how to reprogram the keyfobs. While reprogramming the keyfobs the doors confirm reprogramming by locking and then unlocking the doors. When the car does this, the doors lock just fine, which leads me to believe that there is some other issue disallowing the car from locking.
I am not certain the cause of this problem. It could be PATS related or it could be something else entirely. A Ford dealership is the short way home on electrical gremlins like this.

Finally, I was seeing if you guys would be able to tell if my stang was cammed or not. It has a heck of an idle, but not super lopey. It's not exactly street friendly so I don't know if it's just an aggressive tune or cammed. If I uploaded a video do you think you could tell?
Exhaust note may or may not be an indicator. When buying cars with modified engines it is always best to ask the seller how the engine has been modified. If he did not do it and a previous owner did you are buying a pig in a polk unless you are a capable mechanic that can do the investigatory work to determine what has been modified. If not - well you already know that story.

Sorry just remembered one last question. When I go to take off if my car isn't warmed up really well it hesitates and makes these loud banging or popping noises or something hard to describe. I've heard this is piston slap and as the car warms up it stops because the pistons expand. I also thought this may be pinging, so I was wondering if you guys thought trying a higher octane gas was worth a try to see if it stops the issue? I'm running 91 right now.
This is caused by an engine that was incorrectly tuned.

Sorry I know this was a lengthy post full of questions, I'm just trying to get a few things figured out so I can figure out what all has been done to this car and whether it's been done correctly before the car blows up or something lol. I got burnt on my last car, it was totally rigged up by the previous owner and a few months later the engine blew. Trying to prevent that on this (much more expensive and awesome) car. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!
The best way to 'figure what all has been done' to a car is to ask the guy who did it, which is presumably the seller. If the seller is not the the guy who modified the car / engine and you are sufficiently knowledgable then you can figure it out through inspection. If you did not buy the car from the guy(s) who modified it, and you do not know what was done to it, and you can not figure it out yourself, then you should get ready to spend potentially a lot of money to both discover what was done and correct anything that was done incorrectly.

If you do not do this you will most likely damage the engine at some point. Of course you have already lived this last scenario with a previous purchase you made so this should be familiar ground.

As a general rule of thumb, unhappy endings occur when modified cars are purchased by unknowledgeable buyers from unknowledgeable sellers who did not modify the vehicle and can not tell you what has been done to the vehicle. Again this sounds like familiar ground for you.

The safest recommendation is to find a person or shop that is knowledgeable, have them inspect the car, check the tune, check the cams etc - unless you can do it yourself. If you can not then you are looking at a fairly significant expense just to determine what you bought let alone what is wrong with it. In many ways this is a similar scenario to the one you have already experienced that resulted in blown engine a few months after you bought it. FWIW the current engine may already have incurred damage from what sounds like a bad tune.

The horses have already left the barn, at this time, so to speak. There is no upside to closing the proverbial barn doors. You have a few painful choice before you;

◉ Learn about your car and discover through personal inspection how it has been modified,
◉ After discovering the modifications fix anything done incorrectly,

Alternatively;

◉ Sell the car to someone else and let him noodle out the problems,
◉ Take the car to a knowledgeable shop that modifies them and pay him to sort it out,
◉ Don't worry be happy and drive the car until it blows (if it does) or you tire of it and sell it.

You should be getting more knowledgeable about buying things you don't understand by now. This should play to your advantage in your next purchase.

Ed

#3 ·

Water meth injection can provide improved anti detonation qualities and is frequently sold as a power improver / anti-detonatant for supercharged engines. Both the anti-detonation and the power improvement attributes are correct within limits. The systems are not that popular because, benefits not withstanding, they tend to be empty when you want to use them. The maintenance factor can become a nuisance, get skipped and then you are in trouble.

If you have fuel leaks you should immediately change o-rings and check fuel rail / injector / manifold alignment. Fuel leaks are a serious problem that will burn your car to the ground in a NY minute. There have been manufacturers that do not know how to properly make fuel rails that had fuel leakage. Gasoline in a hot engine compartment is like playing Russian Roulette with extra ammo ? it brings bad karma.

BBK does not list injectors on their site as a product they sell. They may have at one time but I don't remember it occurring. Ford has a rich assortment of injectors that are flowed and perform predictably. I would give serious thought to replacing out of date and unavailable product with current and available product.

I am not certain the cause of this problem. It could be PATS related or it could be something else entirely. A Ford dealership is the short way home on electrical gremlins like this.

Exhaust note may or may not be an indicator. When buying cars with modified engines it is always best to ask the seller how the engine has been modified. If he did not do it and a previous owner did you are buying a pig in a polk unless you are a capable mechanic that can do the investigatory work to determine what has been modified. If not ? well you already know that story.

This is caused by an engine that was incorrectly tuned.

The best way to 'figure what all has been done' to a car is to ask the guy who did it, which is presumably the seller. If the seller is not the the guy who modified the car / engine and you are sufficiently knowledgable then you can figure it out through inspection. If you did not buy the car from the guy(s) who modified it, and you do not know what was done to it, and you can not figure it out yourself, then you should get ready to spend potentially a lot of money to both discover what was done and correct anything that was done incorrectly.

If you do not do this you will most likely damage the engine at some point. Of course you have already lived this last scenario with a previous purchase you made so this should be familiar ground.

As a general rule of thumb, unhappy endings occur when modified cars are purchased by unknowledgeable buyers from unknowledgeable sellers who did not modify the vehicle and can not tell you what has been done to the vehicle. Again this sounds like familiar ground for you.

The safest recommendation is to find a person or shop that is knowledgeable, have them inspect the car, check the tune, check the cams etc ? unless you can do it yourself. If you can not then you are looking at a fairly significant expense just to determine what you bought let alone what is wrong with it. In many ways this is a similar scenario to the one you have already experienced that resulted in blown engine a few months after you bought it. FWIW the current engine may already have incurred damage from what sounds like a bad tune.

The horses have already left the barn, at this time, so to speak. There is no upside to closing the proverbial barn doors. You have a few painful choice before you;

◉ Learn about your car and discover through personal inspection how it has been modified,
◉ After discovering the modifications fix anything done incorrectly,

Alternatively;

◉ Sell the car to someone else and let him noodle out the problems,
◉ Take the car to a knowledgeable shop that modifies them and pay him to sort it out,
◉ Don't worry be happy and drive the car until it blows (if it does) or you tire of it and sell it.

You should be getting more knowledgeable about buying things you don't understand by now. This should play to your advantage in your next purchase.

Ed
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all my questions. I do all work on my cars myself, have my own shop and tools, and love working on cars. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable compared to a lot of people on these forums and whatnot, but I'm constantly learning and trying to learn. I definitely have the ability to go through the car and see what all is done to it, a few of these things are new to me with the prometh and whatnot, I know the basis of it and I understand how it not working could damage the car because it would lose that detonation prevention if it wasn't working correctly. I've put a few thousand miles on it now and the tank hasn't ever noticeable went down, which makes me suspect it isn't working. As far as the cams, I was just hoping there could be an easy shortcut rather than taking off the covers and whatnot and checking, however getting to the cams on these cars seems a lot easier than on my lt1. Sorry if my post sounded clueless, like I said I'm not clueless, I've done hours of research on the superchargers and methanol injection and whatnot, these topics are just new to me so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. As far as the fuel rails, it looks like BBK makes the rails and I'll have to see what the fuel injectors are.

Once again, thanks so much for taking the time to post such an in depth response, seems to me like I'm just gonna have to keep digging in to figure out more about the car. From looking and inspecting it seems like the person doing the modifying did a very quality job, even things I've taken off to check look good, so I'm not incredibly worried about it, though it sounds like I need to make a trip to a tuner sooner rather than later. That was the big worry anyways, so I'd love to have that fixed. Not much around here (iowa city) as far as tuning and performance shops go, guess I'll have to do some digging...

Thanks again!

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks, Bob. Like you guys we always try, sometimes we do better than others but we always give it the good old college try.

OP your instincts about the tune are spot on! That should be the first issues you attend to. Once tuned with a good tune you have bought yourself the additional time necessary to safely discover the rest of the car's modifications.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.