1960 starliner 4.6 dohc swap/ build

+ Reply to Thread

Default 1960 starliner 4.6 dohc swap/ build

Hey yall..... chip from alabama here. Building a teksid based block 4.6 dohc for my 1960 starliner. Just dropoed off bottom end to get freshened up. Updating to 2005 aviator heads. Running sullivan intake and fuel rails. I want the. I havent ordered any other build parts yet. Looking for 400 plus n/a hp. Need to order some fresh hard parts. Also want infobon wiring harness. Bare bones. Running sullivan fuel rails and sullivan valve covers with hidden cop's under intake. Heres some info im looking for..

Bslancer
    Headers that would fit in 60 galaxie frame
    Rear cylinder head cooling tricks
    Dual blade throttle body
    Oil pan possibilities for galaxie frsme

I will post all cylinder head info shortly.. thank you and looking forward to this build...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Also running 4r70w trans... any build tips are appreciated

Senior Member Array

Chip, I put a MkVIII 4.6 DOHC with 4R70W in my 63 Galaxie. I took the stock pan and flipped it around on the flange and welded it up as well as remade the added quart container. I made a full 6 quart pan basically. I heard the front wheel drive versions in Continentals would work but never found one.
    I think you might have a problem with your NA power hopes with a Sullivan intake. Aren't they all a higher RPM based intake? A 4.6 isn't a good bottom end builder already. You may have a track built engine in a street heavy car that you might not enjoy. Not sure if those heads will help any with that or not. It's been a while since I've looked into any of that.

As for headers, I had to build my own log manifold for that car on each side. There are no headers that will fit in that frame without swapping the entire front end. Maybe the 60's have more room than the 63's.

I currently have the same setup but with Cobra parts in my 63 Fairlane with a Mustang II front style. I run the 96-98 Cobra long tubes in mine now with no problems. They need lots of side room though.

I love the Starliners. A buddy had one with a 390 in it. Please keep updating here so we can watch!

Dave

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

This car isn't a track car by any means... fun driver with and update. Bottom end is being built to handle a Lil boost if ever wanted. Longevity and economy are a big goal. Found a continental pan and pickup. A lot of this build is appearance too I can't lie. Love cleaned and stripped down stuffed in something you wouldn't expect. I'll try to post pics of car in currant state. It's is a fun driver now with a 390. Just not road trip friendly.

Have a lot of parts on order from several places. But currently working on fuel system design and parts. Any Ideas? Thanks

Oh.... and it is getting cams....

Senior Member Array

I know exactly what you mean. Took my Fairlane out for the first time in a while. When people see what's under the hood, they are shocked.......

https://s19.postimg.org/gna2j53ur/20160408_211114.jpg
    https://s19.postimg.org/j4ltqfqc3/20150614_165457.jpg

As for fuel system, I'd surely run a return style for ease of tuning and pump life. An intank would be best. I run an external 255lph walbro and it's noisy even when rubber isolated from the body. It works so I'll leave it for now. When I'm done with everything else, I may do an internal. Look at http://www.tanksinc.com/ They have a nice internal baffled setup. If you do run boost, look at a twin internal setup like that of the newer Cobra's.

I think you'll be low end low and top end rev happy with no torque. Just my thought. Maybe not enough to bat an eye at but in that heavy car, it could do some damage to your expectations. Remember, a nice shiny arrow looks good but if not sharp, it doesn't do the job. With a setup like yours, you'll find the street racing punks itching to take you on. Can you hold back? Not me. I'm older but still stupid enough to play.

Best of luck!

Dave

I used to be a dealer for tanks when i had my hotrod shop in florida. Not sure if they are gonna have an intake for a 60.

On anothet note... a lot if people think this car is super heavy..... but check this out

98 lincoln mark 8= 3765 lbs shipped
    60 starliner with 292 and auto=3750 lbs shipped

Kinda crazy when you think about it. Just how much weight difference in a visually smaller package.

Have to reopen photobucket and ill start posting pics

Chopper, you don't need to use photobucket. You can post directly to your thread. Instead of choosing a Photobucket url as the origin of the photo choose from computer navigate to your photo and select it then upload as if it came from a url. If you post pics this way photobucket can not hold you hostage for $. Better yet if they go out of business (hey Bethlem Steel did!) your photo's are still in your thread.

Ed

Senior Member Array

My 63 Fairlane with the 98 Cobra setup and 4R70W weighs 3070 with my 170lb butt in it as well as a half tank full.

Apologies there Chopper!

It looks like the vBulletin s/w is not up to speed yet. The new website release has been challenging and it looked like that capability was working again but your post indicates it is still a little premature, I would say.

When we get the bugs sorted out it will be a better solution for you. As of right now — not so much ...

Apologies,

Ed

Lil update. Heads on. Looking for front sump from Lincoln continental

That is going to be a nice set up. I just finished installing a 97 Lincoln Mark VIII in my 60 Ford Country Squire wagon. Had to notch the cross member to get the engine/pan to clear. Used to have a Starliner which i miss.

16. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread