Holley Dominator EFI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Senior Member Array smashedheadcat's Avatar

Default Holley Dominator EFI

As I get older, I find myself extremely hesitant to pull the trigger on anything, especially when it comes to an EFI system. After a few years of going back and forth on just about every aftermarket EFI option, i finally picked the Holley. I played with the software for this years ago and sort of fell in love, but with all of the other options out there (for a more reasonable cost), the decision just wasn't an easy one.

With all that said, I live in Utah and the winters are long. I am going to take my time installing this stuff because it will probably be April before the snow stops falling, but I will post photos along the way.

What you're looking at:
    Holley Dominator ECU
    Power Harness
    99-04 Main Harness
    (3) I/O harnesses
    Smart Coils (and harnesses)
    A few pressure/temp sensors
    2 NTK O2 sensors

Things I'll pick up in the next few months:
    Digital Dash
    Digital Dash I/O harness
    Holley Dash mount
    Boost solenoid(s)
    Flex Fuel Sensor
    Coil brackets
    Plug wires
    anything else I may have forgotten

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Ahhh..it's always nice when xmas comes early!

ks

Amen to that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I run this setup on my car and it's incredible.. I run the Davis Tech traction control as well. You will love it!

I am pretty excited about digging into the features of this ecu, but I am not looking forward to wiring all this up.

Oh wiring was hell on the shop I had install the unit.. But I got rid of everything none essential too. So they basically rewired the entire car lol.

Make sure to check the pinout on the Smart Coil harness. There has been some issues with those from Holley lately causing misfires when trying to start.

If you are on Facebook, join the Holley Mod Motor group that Eric Scharpe started. We have a startup tune in there and lots of helpful mod motor specific info. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1728023557521559/

I?ve been in your group for a year already, if I was guesssing Tony. Hopefully I?ll be able to actually contribute now that I?ve actually got the system.

Cool Josh, can't wait to see your progress! Yes Tony here btw.

What made you decide on the smart coils? I'm still rocking my stock coils at over 1000whp and soon to be much more. I'd like to switch, but out of money right now lol.

Remember that classified ad on your page that had all the Holley stuff. Well, I bought it all when he dropped his price. It just so happened to have smart coils with it. I?ll see how it goes with the install, but if I lose interest in wiring I may just pick up the COP harness and drivers, then mock up the smart coils on the backup engine.

The wiring is pretty simple. It kinda all plug n play.

Man I'm so pissed. After going to that facebook page (I'm not on facebook) the new Holley Dash is so nice!!! I have a external fuel gauge too, which it turns out I DON'T need with that dash.. I have a Racepak now and it's cool, but man the Holley dash is nice and could have saved me money I think.. FML

Quote Originally Posted by smashedheadcat View Post
    I?ll see how it goes with the install, but if I lose interest in wiring I may just pick up the COP harness and drivers, then mock up the smart coils on the backup engine.
    Wiring the coils is really easy. I used LS heatsink coils with used GM sub harnesses which used the same exact type of connector the Holley unterminated harness came with. Crimped it all up and it fired up fine using Tonys starter file for the firing order.

I would definitely do smart coils since you already have everything there.

I was really surprised how well the Holley Dominator idled despite having cams and no IAC.

I'm using the holley to trigger an inline EWP150 water pump, a SPAL 16" medium profile fan, a SPAL trans cooler fan, and the EWP115 intercooler pump.

Tuning with this setup is SO MUCH better than any of the SCT hacks.
    Last edited by Swerve; 11-11-2017 at 08:36 AM.

You are spot on, Eric.

Once you remove the requirement to support emissions machinations and vehicle creature comforts the EFI system designers can produce some very nice, purpose built, performance oriented systems that are orders of magnitude easier to manage than the OEM systems

Ed

Thank you everyone for the comments. I haven?t really had too much dislike for the SCT stuff, but I certainly won?t miss the flash process. I hate ****ting down the car and going through that goat rope every time I make a change. It?s not a huge issue, but I definitely won?t miss it.

As for the smart coils, I want to use them, but I lose interest along the way, I may go with the plug and play route and keep the oem coils. I still have twin 50mm turbos, so I am quite confident that I won?t run into issues at my power level regardless of what coil I am using.

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last