Need Advice from E85 veterans/longtime users-

+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Advice from E85 veterans/longtime users-

Hello Everyone

Would some of you E85 users please give me some solid advice regarding the rare and in frequent use of E85 in a GT500. I presently have 2 tunes on my SCTX4. The 1 is for (E10) 93octane and the other is for VP MS109. I run 93 octane 95% of the time. MS109 is about $80.00 for a 5 gallon jug.

The car is Not tuned for E85 and at this point I do not plan on considering it for a while.

If I "splashed" 3 gallons of E85 Would such limited use and only using 3 gallons at a time diluted with E10(93) harm an of the OEM parts such as the injectors injector coils ,fue lines, plastics, fuel pumps etc?

My intentions would be to add 3 gallons of E85 to about 10 gallons of (E10)93 oct fuel. I am slightly familiar with the different stoichs of 93 octane vs. E85.I also understand that E85 needs approx. (+/-) 30% more fuel in the tune.

One of my reasons to consider this would be to increase the effective octane and allow the motor to delay any knock sensor activity. I could be very wrong with my assumptions here that im making. But that's the reason why I would like a few of you to chime in. I have Never used E85 before But it is now available locally at 1 station.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array smashedheadcat's Avatar

In closed loop (part throttle and below) the components you mentioned will be just fine, but any operation in open loop (heavy on the throttle), your car will command and obtain a severe lean condition. Essentially, you'll get all of the negative and none of the positives of ethanol. Do not do this.

Thanks for the quick response Josh.
    You answered most of my questions but because I was unclear, I dont think you specifically answered 1 of the parts im concerned with.

I understand that in open loop(heavy to WOT) I will run lean by adding E85 to my present E10 tune.

Let me rephrase/change part of my question since you answered most of it......

If I had the car "Tuned" specifically for E85 on a chassis dyno like I already have done for E10 and MS109, BUT did NOT change any of the OEM equipment other than possibly the injectors........in your opinion,

would running E85 in rare instances.....couple times a year(10 gallons at a time x couple times a year( 3-4 times)=30-40 gallons of E85 harm any of the factory OEM parts.

Thank you

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array smashedheadcat's Avatar

If you are tuned for e85, you do not need to worry about any of your fuel system components simply failing from ethanol use.

I personally would not store my car (long term) with a lot of ethanol in the tank unless you take some steps to preserve it. That’s the only issue I can think of.

7. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread