Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Iat1 and turbo guard

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  eschaider 
#1 ·
Where are you guys mounting the iat1 when using a turbo guard screen?mine would be in the filter cone with the one that came with the hellion kit but I am looking at possibly running a turbo guard screen. Can I just leave it hanging in the fender reading outside temps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#2 ·
Is this for an 03 cobra? If it is, they have a second IAT sensor that the ECU actually uses. The IAT 1 sensor (03 cobra) simply measures ambient temp and can be left dangling.

#3 ·
Yes 04 cobra. So I shouldn't bother getting the iat1 that has the threads?i was going to get that and a bung and weld it into the cold side somewhere. Be easier to just leave the iat1 dangling in the fender then if it's not needed. Thanks

#5 ·
The ECU uses the IAT1 readings and the MAF readings to establish the weight of air the engine is consuming. This temp data and the MAF data are integrated and the ECU uses them for fueling and injector pulse width calculations.

The IAT2 sensor serves a different purpose. The iAT2 sensor is monitored by the ECU to determine when and how much timing to pull to protect the engine from detonation based on IAT2 reported temperatures, along with engine load.

Both sensors are important and should minimally be used for their engine performance and protection benefits.

Ed

#6 ·
Ok so if I mount the sensor after the intercooler and before the maf I should be fine?I was thinking welding a 3/8 bung in the location in red. You can see the stock sensor in green. I would need to extend that wire to reach.

#11 · (Edited)
The threaded sensor won't push out under pressure but if I drilled a hole,used a grommet and stock sensor it might. That's the whole reasoning on using this sensor.
Something to be aware of as you swap sensors in your EFI system, is the individual sensor calibration. Not all sensors, in fact basically none, use the same calibration. That is why when you buy an aftermarket EFI system the EFI manufacturer has a set of preferred sensors they recommend you to use because they have calibrated their ECU to those specific sensors. When you change sensors you must recalibrate the ECU to read the new sensor's signal correctly and then map it to the proper reference standard and table in the ECU for the physical property that is being measuring.

There are many who just throw caution to the wind and elect not to recalibrate or possibly their ECU does not provide the capability. In that case depending on the chosen sensor you can be in more or less trouble. The 'wrong' sensor might just present a drivability problem or if you get lucky and it is a sensor calibration, for the right function, that is off sufficiently, it will permanently damage the engine. Many of the newer aftermarket EFI systems now offer custom sensor calibration so you can use their recommended sensors or if you have your own super hero sensors you can recalibrate for them assuming you are sensor calibration smart.

I am not 100% certain but I suspect the sensor calibration tables in the EEC-V CPU are not generally accessible with aftermarket tuning software. When this is the case or you simply choose not to bother recalibrating, then you find yourself in one of those situations like the scene in the movie, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Indy is pondering which is the real grail to bring back to save his father. As he begins to reach for a grail, the Knight's Templar guard admonishes Indy that he should choose wisely as he selects the grail adding, somewhat unceremoniously, that the pile of ashes on the floor adjacent to Indy, that used to be the NAZI bad guy, did not.

I am going to suggest, to you, that you will also want to choose wisely as you select sensors to be used with your EFI on your supercharged gasoline (or other fuel) engine. Those who have not, frequently have engines behave and drive poorly or worse, resemble the pile of ashes that used to be the bad guy NAZI on the cavern floor in that Indy movie.

Ed

#8 ·
Ford chooses to put their IAT1 sensor into the air stream before the compressor and their IAT2 sensor into the intake manifold after the compressor. Of course you don't have to do what Ford did although, it might provide a good known starting point to springboard off of in the event you want to experiment.

Ed

#10 · (Edited)
Have a look at a quote from John Lund. Use it however you must.

From Mr. Lund: Original Post

"Simply IAT 1 measures Intake Air Temp "after" the MAF.

IAT 2 measures Air Charge Temp or boosted air after the Intercooler. It may seem "limp" but there is no "Limp Mode" related to the IATs it is simply a timing retard table based on IAT2 and degrees of timing pulled at a certain RPM & Load %. The "ACT timing retard" table starts to do its thing at 101 degress and is in full swing at 150 but it does start at 101 F., at 125 degrees ACT at 3000 rpm, Load above 130% there is a timing retard of approx. -2.52 degrees. The table is designed to interpolate the amount of retard based on Temp and cross refereneces to another table for RPM -vs- Load. At 150 F 6000 rpm, load above 130% it is approx. -3.9. Above 150 degrees the table is very aggressive. 200 degrees ACT 3000-4000 load above 110% timing is retarded from -8.4 to - 5.4 degrees. In the midrange RPMs it is pulling a fair amount causing the car to fall on its face. The table can be dis-armed so to speak or values raised."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.