Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Anyone else experiencing valves receding?

6K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jtegg007 
#1 ·
Hi all, this doesnt exactly fit this subforum but im looking to see if anyone else is having the same issues as I am with my 5.0.

Long story short, just bought a 130k mile, 2013 f150 w/ the 5.0 and with a misfire on cylinder 2. After all the usual diag, the leak down revealed an intake valve leak. Pulled the head apart and its clear one intake valve has receded into the head. Looking at all the valves, it looks like one intake valve per cylinder is developing a similar problem. This problem appears to be on the valve itself, the head looks only lightly worn. Comparing the one causing the misfire to the others, the valve face is physically smaller as if the whole outer edge has been worn off. This is difficult to see with the naked eye when comparing to the existing intake valves, but can be felt easily. I picked up a brand new valve from Ford this morning and is very easy to see how much material is missing.

Photos can be seen here, The valve on the right of the zoomed in photo is the one currently causing a misfire.

This truck is totally stock and appears to have been a farm truck for the past 5 years. Searching around online I'm not seeing anyone else with the same issue, but with more than one of mine showing that pattern I thought I'd ask around. Thanks for reading.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.