Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

How to install a Maximum Motorsports Front K Member

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  cobraracer46 
#1 ·
There are many K member choices for the SN 95 Mustang chassis with most of them being terrible for a street car because most aftermarket K members are drag
race oriented ( build as light as possible) so the result is a part that is weaker than stock with the end result being less structural stiffness and strength. Ive seen many K members crack or otherwise fail.

An example of a light weight mustang K member that has failed
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Bumper Rim

For my heavy 2001 Mustang Cobra convertible, I wanted to improve the front end geometry and at the same time increase strength and stiffness. To that end, my choice was to go with a Maximim motorsports K member kit.

Outerwear Product Sleeve Grey T-shirt

Product Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bumper Shipping box

The maximum Motorsports K member is beautifully constructed and built like a tank to put up with what ever abuse I can throw at it. Remember that handling can only improve with a stiff and strong frame so it makes sense that the Maximum motorsports
K member is heavier than any other aftermarket K member and not much lighter than stock. The Maximum Motorsports tubular front control arms feel heavy and beefy as well.

Before and after: stock vs Maximum motorsports
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive design Bumper

You need an oil filter relocation kit to install a maximum motorsports K member so I built my own oil filter relocation kit that allowed me to install an a nice 25 row engine oil cooler.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Maximum motorsports remote oil filter mount
Fluid Liquid Automotive tire Drink Material property
Fluid Liquid Automotive tire Drink Material property

stock K member is out
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel

The car already had a Maximum Motorsports coil over conversion so that made easier to swap out the factory K member

Maximum Motorsports K Member bolted in with out a fuss. I did spend a few hours with plumb bobs in order to square in the k member
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive design

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Oil system all bolted up and plumbed

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

I had Mike Maier INC machine the spindles for the Maximum motorsports bump steer kit and groove the rear shocks for the coil over conversion
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Rim

Front end all done!
Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Impressions so far are that front end grip and handling have noticeably improved. The car feels solid and since Maximum Motorsports built these parts with thick steel and plenty of bracing, these nicely constructed parts will last the life the car.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.