Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Need some experienced ideas?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  smashedheadcat 
#1 ·
I'm driving a 96 lincoln mark vIII. Love the car but as we all know the "B" heads on these models leaves something lacking in the low end torque range. I have no problem at a rolling punch when the trans kicks down and the RPMS climb into that 3500 range. its the dig at the lights!

the engine has 137,000 miles on it. The trans i'm not sure, but i believe the PO did a major service or rebuild on it. The rear of course is the factory open.

I don't want to pull the heads and do a conversion. I have read somewhere about plates to cover the second intake port or at least restrict it?

So some kind of tuner? Is a super charger/turbo set up okay on an engine the old.

I'm not looking for a 1/4 car, just a little more street punch. How far can i go with the rear with out speedometer issues? I was thinking of going with a 3.25 or 3.50 8" posi unit.

I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd prefer some small steps at a couple hundreds $ at at time that build on each other versus dropping a whole bucket at once.

See less See more
#2 ·
The secondary ports on the B-Heads are there to increase bottom end torque, so they are already restricted. There's not a whole lot you can do for cheap to increase the bottom end grunt, but a rear gear change will give you the results you're looking for. A set of 4.10 gears should wake things up in a big way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.