Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

FRPS and TMAP sensor upgrades? Tuners welcome

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  smashedheadcat 
#1 ·
So I'm putting on my 2.9 whipple now, and I will be crossing that magical 2 bar threshhold (going from 12 psi to 17ish with the 2.9). And I also do my own tuning. As such I'm going to run into the 2 bar limits of the TMAP and maybe the FRPS? I say maybe the FRPS as no one has specifically said it is limited to 2 bars? But we all know the TMAP is. For those that don't know we have 2 map sensors on this car, one is on the TMAP which isn't really used for anything in the control system other than it's good for datalogging, the other on the FRPS is used for calculating pressure drop across the injectors.

So question is, is there a plug and play way to upgrade these sensors to a higher pressure (3 bar or whatever is available).

I know the common thing is to delete the FRPS but it's quite a good safety feature IMO, giving the ECU the ability to compensate for low fuel pressure is a good thing.

#2 ·
The first thing you need to do is "renormalize" the MAP sensor counts by taking them up to 1023 from 987. For whatever reason, this will keep the MAP sensor from pegging and causing fuel pump voltage issues. This solution was discovered by Jerry Wroblewski and Ken Bjonnes back in the 03 cobra's performance infancy.

As for the FRPS, you will find that it is easily up to the task of supporting 17 psi without any modifications. I've had no issues running 25psi with 50psi of base pressure.

#3 ·
The first thing you need to do is "renormalize" the MAP sensor counts by taking them up to 1023 from 987. For whatever reason, this will keep the MAP sensor from pegging and causing fuel pump voltage issues. This solution was discovered by Jerry Wroblewski and Ken Bjonnes back in the 03 cobra's performance infancy.

As for the FRPS, you will find that it is easily up to the task of supporting 17 psi without any modifications. I've had no issues running 25psi with 50psi of base pressure.
Ya after looking at my logs a bit more I realized it's a true differential pressure sensor so no problems there. My MAP counts were already set to 1023, I can explain why, it's in analog to digital counts, much like the MAF is. 1023 is probably right around 5 volts, IE the stock tune won't read anything 987 counts which is probably in the 4.something volt range.

So has anyone tried to use an eco-boost TMAP on our cars?

#4 ·
You can log it in either counts or volts, it doesn't really matter. 980 counts is around 4.78 volts and 1023 is 4.99 volts. It's been a long time since the MAP voltage has been a thing, you'll have to forgive me for being vague. In a nutshell, you do not want to peg your map sensor. When it pegs, I think it clips the top row of the fuel pump voltage table which will cause a loss in voltage at the fuel pump. It's usually about half a volt. If you're at the limit on your fuel pump, this could very well ruin your engine. Now, if you re-normalize the MAP voltage (or counts) to 1023 or 4.99 and log it, you'll find that the voltage or counts do not go much above the old limits (4.8ish), even if you hit it with 30psi. This is pretty much standard practice on every 03 cobra tune for the last 12 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.