My Twin Turbo Build - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Good to hear Jonathan!

Remember the turbo sizing might limit you in terms of total air mass flow to the engine. I've been promising myself I would do a turbo sizing exercise for you but have not taken the time to sit down and work through it — lazy, my apologies. I'm airborne this weekend so I'll spend some seat time on the issue for you.

Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Member Array

Thank Ed that would be great! in the mean time ill do the best with what I have..."meanwhile i was thinking" might be time to build my next engine, set of LA sleeves in a teksid block and some of those Gibtec pistons, re sized turbos maybe switch to Methanol. $$

still running COP's at the moment but will upgrade to the Mercury Marine coils which i have already, will need custom length plug wires with long boots, any idea where i can buy them?
    thanks Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt287 View Post
    Thank Ed that would be great! in the mean time ill do the best with what I have..."meanwhile i was thinking" might be time to build my next engine, set of LA sleeves in a teksid block and some of those Gibtec pistons, re sized turbos maybe switch to Methanol. $$

still running COP's at the moment but will upgrade to the Mercury Marine coils which i have already, will need custom length plug wires with long boots, any idea where i can buy them?
    thanks Jonathan
    For a race only application the methanol is very likely the finest racing fuel we have available to us both in terms of it's anti-knock qualities and also it's power production. For a street driven vehicle I would fall back a notch to an e85/e100 type fuel for its more forgiving relationship with the rest of the fuel system components.

The LA Sleeves approach to the block prep is probably as good as it gets for the Teksid class blocks, Jonathan. There is a considerable amount of capability associated with that approach in terms of maintaining good cylinder geometry and serviceability.

The Mercury Marine IGN1-A coils are smart coils and will not work with a stock ECU. I can't recall but I want to say you are using a FAST ECU. If that is true or if you are using one of the many other aftermarket ECUs they typically have built in support for the IGN1-A coils, the transition should be easy, straight forward and essentially a plug and play experience.

It took me a while to find my plug wires. I wanted to use MSD Hemi wires like on the blown alcohol and T/F engines but the end of the plug wire is just a smidge too bid to fit into the plug well on our heads. As luck would have it, MSD made a special set of the same wires for the Dodge and Ford pro stock engines that also use the small diameter plug wells like we have on the Modmotor. They are the cat's meow for plugs wires. Here is a link to them at Jegs, => P/S Hemi Plug Wires.

The wires are 8.5mm and have excellent hardware built in for attachment and removal. Everything is a snap together, slip together or screw together type of assembly. The only electrical work needed is the trimming to length and attachment of the coil side electrical connector which is a crimping event I guarantee you will love them — and they look awesome on the engine.

I just got an email from Jegs this morning advising this was the last day of a $30 rebate they were offering on purchases. If you miss the rebate, hold your fire because there is still the Thanksgiving Black Friday sale and the year end inventory clearance sale to come.

Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 11-09-2018 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Member Array

Hi Ed, I have the Mercury Marine IGN1-A coils on hand, Im running Megasquirt MS3 Pro ECU currently im using Quadspark coil drivers to power my COP's but yes my MS3 will drive the smart coils directly

Wow those MSD plug wires are great! I will order a set...good tip on the sales but that probably won't fit in with my shipping / travel schedules.
    As for mounting the coils i was thinking to make a tray that fits in the Valley looks clean but could be a pain to service or alternatively mount the on the firewall...not sure the wires will be ling enough for that.

finally the car is complete again and we also fixed a lot of nuisance problems we had louvered hood and Air intakes work well.
    Attachment 169459
    Attachment 169457
    Attachment 169461
    Attachment 169463
    Attachment 169465

Jonathan

A number of guys have mounted the coils in the valley under the manifold on turbo builds, Jonathan. It makes for a very clean look. You want to be sensitive to over heating the coils, however. The greater the dwell time you use (more coil output) the hotter the coils will run. It is possible to kill a coil or even have it pop from the internal oil boiling. My first choice would to pick a cooler location with some type of air movement to aid in cooling.

Ed

8. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123