Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

New guy from WA state. Here to look for idea's to help oldest boy with his Ranchero

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jit899 
#1 ·
Greetings all; My 16 year old has a new project... 74 Ranchero GT that we plan on dropping a 4V 4.6 into. We were able to secure a 94 Mark VIII 4.6 engine and transmission for the donor engine. Just getting started. Looking at suspension issues, and if dropping a CV K member in would solve the obvious wide 4V modular design. Still in the planning stages. Son wants to put the car on airbags and paint it Ford Ruby red.

#2 ·
Hi there welcome!
As i recall the 74 doesn't have suspension towers... looks like a nice open engine bay the could easily accommodate the 4.6 so no need for the K member.

the 94 Mk8 engine is nice but has the early B Heads with the IMRC plates for high and low speed running these work ok but are often clogged with carbon and no longer function the can be cleaned..or deleted with a Mod but that robs low end torque....do you have the engine computer and harness?

the ranchero is a big heavy car so in stock form the 4.6 won't be an earth shaker but maybe that good for a 16 year old.

Jonathan

#3 ·
Hey Thunderbolt287,
You're correct, no shock towers, but just eyeballing with a tape measure, it looks like the 4V might be too wide and hit the upper control arms. Won't know until we mock it up. Original Plan was to use the Mark VIII OD tranny as well. Kid's been looking/searching for Cobra style intake to replace the Lincoln setup; not sure what's out there yet. Maybe a Navigator setup? Plan on using Megasquirt to run the fuel and spark. It's a set up I've had sitting on the shelf awhile that I was saving for my 500 Caddi into my 68 Deville convertible. Already have the aftermarket O2 sensors to run Megasquirt. Last month we went to a Spokane Goodguys car show and saw a 64 Ranchero with a 2V 4.6 and it looks like it dropped in pretty easy. Hard to pass up the local pull and save; less than $300 for the 4V with tranny. It was the boy's first engine pull. He was pretty proud. View attachment 169223

#4 ·
Hi again
I like the 4R70 TRANS but you will either need to retain the original Lincoln ECU or get an individual trans controller i think Bauman makes one... recently i think Holly ECU can also run the R470W.
Megasquirt is good, I run an MS3 Pro but as far as i know it can't directly run a trans yet you would need an additional micro squirt controller with Can Bus upgrade.
the Cobra intake will work but the Navigator intake is too wide due to higher deck height of 5.4 engine.
aftermarket B intakes are not available, (MMR did make a few) i had to make my own :stars:....other options include changing to C heads for which Manifolds are available.

Good luck,

Jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.