Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Ported head question!

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  eschaider 
#1 ·
Need a little help from the experts on ported heads.
I found a brand new pair of DC heads that have supposedly been ported by Roush/Yates.
My question is in regards to the combustion chamber work. Should they be smoothed and polished to get rid of the cut marks or grooves where the cutting bit has ran to get rid of the stair step affect or do these look like they are good to go as is? Nothing has really been polished on them but my biggest concern is if the cuts/grooves in the combustion chamber will cause hotspots and pre-ignition or if all looks good to go as is.
Also if anything else stands out as a red flag please say so!

Thanks
Ken
Automotive tire Rim Font Material property Auto part
Automotive lighting Gas Plant Auto part Electric blue
Auto part Engineering Bumper Metal Gun accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Those look like genuine Roush ported "DC" castings, Ken. I have a set of the for certain Roush ported heads and they look identical to yours including the CNC nibble marks on the valve guides because Roush chose not to remove them before porting.

The CNC machining tool marks in the chambers and ports will neither hurt nor help engine performance. I would not worry about the engine behavior with or without the marks. It is indistuinguishable on the dyno or in the car.

Great heads, good find — especially in brand new never used condition!

Ed

#3 ·
Good deal! Thank you Ed I was hoping you would pop in here. I have been keeping an eye out for a set of good DC heads to pick up for porting then this opportunity pretty much landed in my lap as the seller was contacting me regarding something else. I just wanted to satisfy those questions before pulling the trigger. Now I have a BRAND NEW set of ported heads to go with my BRAND NEW still in the box Aluminator SC block I picked up a couple weeks ago!

Thanks again Ed!
Ken

Automotive engine gasket Luggage and bags Audio equipment Auto part Bag
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

#5 ·
Ken's mustang has been "down" for a minute. I bought his 4r70w like 10 years ago. Maybe if he works on his, I'll work on mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.