Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1956 F100 build

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Thunderbolt287 
#1 ·
Hi Guys For those of you who don't know me Im the crazy Guy that lives in the Philippines and like Different projects my other car is a twin turbo Nash Metropolitan drag car.

Anyhow a friend of my sold me a 56 F100 project, cab, doors,tray, hood and 4 fenders thats it!! oh and a spare rusted Cab...i guess he needed shop space:).

So drag it back to the shop and open a beer:):) i really love the ford modular engines so of course i need a donor so i bought a wrecked but drivable 2000 Expedition 4.6 2v it has the 4R70W and an 8.8 Posi.

Plan is to build a truck that has a very classic look ..beefy wide whitewalls with a lower stance and absolutely stock interior.
so need to build a chassis with air suspension, overhaul engine and trans and rear axle and make it all play in the old F100.

some pics to follow very soon

#2 ·
Nice project there Jonathan. Sounds like a lot of work but it probably pales in comparison to putting a twin turbo Modular in a Nash. I am curious about how you are going to approach the 'restoration' / conversion. Can't wait to see the progress posts.

Ed

#3 ·
Thanks Ed, many years ago i like do restore cars to absolve factory specs but now practicality prevails I like my vehicles to appear almost original but with reliability and performance enhancement tastefully incorporated. so here we are making a chassis 6x2" 1/8 thick

Tire Wheel Hood Plant Automotive tire

on the trailer

after lots of measuring the chassis begins

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Wood Gas Audio equipment Metal Wood stain

Wood Composite material Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

in the beginning i was planning to use a Jaguar complete from crossmember but when i received it i found it really was not a good fit so having spent the money i decided that i would just use the A arms and brakes...i now regret this as the design does not lend itself to easy adjustability so the accuracy of the geometry was critical...luckily we nailed it first time, in retrospect i should have just built my own upper and lower arms as i have done successfully before :secret:
lots of head scratching and beer!
Bicycle tire Tire Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle fork

#4 ·
Next was cut down the 8.8 rear end from the expedition
View attachment 169381
View attachment 169383
decided to weld the axle tubes the the cast iron housing, we used stainless rod with the TIG it went on like butter.

did the Math and then cut axles and had the re splined at local machine shop. (this is a low performance build son not so concerned about strength)
Cylinder Nickel Metal Titanium Steel

We learned that there are many different 8.8 rear ends, mine has beefy axles with a 1.7" bearing, apparently three are 3 different diameters of axle.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Rim

You might ask why shorten the axle then add 1.25" spacers...Answer Compromise! I wanted big tires 265/70R/16 with 3.5" whitewalls on steel wheels and the tire size and wheel combo means backspace issues as we are using the rear disc brakes from the expedition.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

The chassis is not totally finished still need more cross bracing but its time for a mock up to make sure the body fits and wheel to fender clearances are ok.
i like how it looks and the front wheels can turn lock to lock without touching fenders :):)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

#5 ·
Jonathan,

The hardening on the axles tends to be a surface hardening, a deep one, but a surface hardening. My guess is that you cut them down to be a 28 spline axle. The depth of the cut you took will easily go through the hardening. If you have a heat treating shop available I would consider re-heat treating them.

Additional thoughts — if the axles were originally 31 spline axles you could replace the side gears in the differential or replace the differential if that is easier with a 31 spline diff and use the uncut OEM axles. Even with mild performance goals an unhardened spline is at risk of failure, which is why Ford hardens OEM axles.

Very nice job on the machining and splining though. :)

Ed

#6 ·
Hi Ed the axles are 31 spline Same as originals, I had to shorten the quite a bit and they had a shoulder along further...the area where the spline is did not have so much removed...about 30 thou.
we have quite a bit of experience here with this kind of job and so far no failures even at 800hp...but that said now I have everything fitting properly and an exact measurements I may order up a pair of strange axles. Thanks jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.