Out of Hibernation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Out of Hibernation

So not to sure where to start..

As the post subject eludes to, the car and myself have been out of the modular picture for some time. I bought this car in 2004, and Daily drove it for 3.5 years up to 66k. Last iteration of the build(2008) was a 5.0 stroker with a 3.4 whippled c4 setup that was a crank pulley slinging affair that pushed me to sell off all the blower parts and pursue a turbo build with a 8.50 cage. Then life happened and priorities were different and the work on the car was intermittent and slow. Progress in recent years has been a slow acceleration based on free time to an all out sprint starting last fall(17) with inevitable delays(8weeks on heads). I did everything myself on the car with the exception of a few things that I didn't have the tooling for, Garage built. Overall I am very please with how everything has turned out, and the car has exceeded every expectation to this point. Got it runing late June, took a brake due to Texas summer weather spent October working on a few bugs, and Manny @ HPP put a hell of a tune in the Holley, in November(Did in one day what would have taken me a week or more lol). 20 Passes under my belt and some trial and error mixed in. The car has been 145.63 mph in the 1/8th with more power on tap, knocking on the door of 1.1x 60's. I have to apologize up front as I don't plan on sharing ETs. (N/T Grudge car at the moment). Still working through some quirks but everything is moving in the right direction quickly.

A brief rundown.

The goal was to chase a local limited tire class that evolved well out of my budget while the car was down. Now its a grudge setup, Looking to dial it in and see where it lands and go from there.

03 Cobra Chassis with Wolfe 8.50 Kit.
    8.8 Rear Braced with 35 spline Moser axles
    HPP Racing 5.0 Teksid Stroker with Ported heads.(Carry over from the Blower setup)Heads were refreshed 2018 with +1m Manley valves and PAC springs, Turbo cams
    Precision Billet wheel GT47 88mm 1.08AR(2013 vintage) with Air to Air Intercooler.
    M&M TH400 with 1/2 leave option, Pro Torque Gen X Bolt together , PST Carbon fiber Drive shaft
    Holley Dominator running OEM Cobra coils, Billet Atomizer 225b injectors on E-85

Blower Car- Photo quality dates the photos lol.

Begin the gutting, Removed every hose, brake line, wire and bracket from the car. Also scraped all the sound deadening off the floors.

Shaved and filled the Firewall and strut towers.

Had to modify the AJE K-member and solid motor mounts to clear forward facing turbo headers. Original class rules required motor mounts.

Finalized engine bay with out the power train.

8.50 Cage work-

I cut the structure off an old cracked up hood I had in the pursuit of making it pin on.

8.8- Had it braced and 9" Ends put on it. Strange Dual caliper brakes, Moser axles and spool, FRPP 4.10s and a Mark Williams billet yolk.

After messing with Team Z Drag springs and not liking the stance or ride height I bit the bullet and went coil over with some custom valved Small Tire Menscer Shocks and added some Racecraft Drop spindles.

Turbo Kit- Put a good amount of thought into being able to pull the motor without disassembling the turbo system extensively.

Trans setup- M&M TH400 1.40/2.10 gearset, Friner 1/2 leave valvebody. ProTorque GenX. PST carbon fiber shaft.

Part of the whole process was reading and learning about weak links, so I also addressed the motor with the expectations of if seeing over 8krpm. Cobra Engineering Tensioner, and guide pins, Shelby Mike Chain Guides & oil pump o-ring. Primary Tensioner mod, upgraded valve springs from comp to MHS Stg 4 Pac springs. Accufab secondary chains and GT followers.

Beefy

Through this process I found the Exhaust valves and seats were not happy, So in turn, I had the seats replaced and added the Manley +1mm valves.

Degreeing the motor in the 100* Texas heat was an experience.

Wired the Whole car from scratch with a Spaghetti Menders Kit, and un-terminated Holley Harnesses.Engine harness is on a mil-spec connector to ease in and out.

Home stretch, Final touches, upgrades, coatings ect.

Hood Painted-

Final Assembly-

Car build #3

No name for the car but, the stripper was tossed around since I was throwing money at it..lol

Car build #3

Car build #3

Untitled

Untitled

A video or two or 3.

Idle walk around
    Walk around at idle

#tunedbymanny
    #tunedbymanny

Less than perfect hit.
    145mph

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Lots of work, Mike!

Very nice job, excellent fabricating skills. You have built a great hot rod and like most of the guys who do, you did it yourself ó very impressive.

I noticed your external wet-sump pump. That is a personal favorite of mine. Gear style oil pumps like the one you are using have very wide operating rpm ranges and basically do not lay down at high rpm ó which is why racers like them. Following up on our discussions earlier my bet is you are pumping the pan dry.

Check your pickup to pan clearance and make sure it is in the 0.312" to 0.375" window. Your high engine speed pressure fluctuations are almost certainly the oil pan being pumped dry and the OEM oil returns not being able to return the oil fast enough to the pan. There is also an aeration problem you want to be sensitive to that leaves air bubbles in the oil and provides poor lubrication along with potential pressure fluctuations depending on the level of aeration present at the pickup.

The easiest fix for the poor oil return problem is run an additional quart (not more than 2) in your pan and you should eliminate the pumping the pan dry issue.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

Still running the internal pump, thatís the fuel pump cable mandrel for the mechanical pump. Going to look at some volume additions inline and go from there. The events were rather recent so there may be a correlation with G forces and to your point drain back/supply.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    Lots of work, Mike!

Very nice job, excellent fabricating skills. You have built a great hot rod and like most of the guys who do, you did it yourself ó very impressive.

I noticed your external wet-sump pump. That is a personal favorite of mine. Gear style oil pumps like the one you are using have very wide operating rpm ranges and basically do not lay down at high rpm ó which is why racers like them. Following up on our discussions earlier my bet is you are pumping the pan dry.

Check your pickup to pan clearance and make sure it is in the 0.312" to 0.375" window. Your high engine speed pressure fluctuations are almost certainly the oil pan being pumped dry and the OEM oil returns not being able to return the oil fast enough to the pan. There is also an aeration problem you want to be sensitive to that leaves air bubbles in the oil and provides poor lubrication along with potential pressure fluctuations depending on the level of aeration present at the pickup.

The easiest fix for the poor oil return problem is run an additional quart (not more than 2) in your pan and you should eliminate the pumping the pan dry issue.

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

That is an incredible build, nice work man! Such attention to detail.

I don't know how much boost you're running, but I saw big gains going to IGN1A past 30lbs. I had to drop the plug gaps down so much to get them to fire off with stock coils, now I can run .018 at 35lbs no problem. I don't know your oil pressure issue, but I had some fluctuation also that was solved by simply adding more oil. Best of luck!

Thanks badcobra,

Ign1as are on the docket at some point. The stock coils havenít given me a reason to doubt them at this point even with 66k miles on them. lol. Iím at .016 gap and 1.5ms dwell. Itís been 36psi without issue thus far.

Oiling is something recently and seems that your solution may be mine. 2+gs before 60í can create some new havoc for sure.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by badcobra View Post
    That is an incredible build, nice work man! Such attention to detail.

I don't know how much boost you're running, but I saw big gains going to IGN1A past 30lbs. I had to drop the plug gaps down so much to get them to fire off with stock coils, now I can run .018 at 35lbs no problem. I don't know your oil pressure issue, but I had some fluctuation also that was solved by simply adding more oil. Best of luck!

Awesome build, thanks for sharing! I love looking at pics of quality work.

--Joe

Thanks Joe!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    Awesome build, thanks for sharing! I love looking at pics of quality work.

--Joe

Great build. Alot of nice parts and fab work done there. Who's cable did you use to run your fuel pump?

Thanks!

Itís a waterman cable drive setup.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rtusnake View Post
    Great build. Alot of nice parts and fab work done there. Who's cable did you use to run your fuel pump?

Took the cold weather opportunity to update the cage to 25.5 since I quickly out ran the 8.50 setup. The stiffness made a huge difference. Getting the suspension sorted out with the front travel and all.. Weíll see how quick we can get. Have a new turbo on the way for some local radial racing. Should be fun. Iíll share some videos after the upload.

Mike

Stunningly beautiful, Mike!

You have a to die for hot rod. Very well thought out, superb execution, stunning workmanship.

You will get years of fun out of that toy. Congratulations on a tough job very well executed.

Ed

Awesome build!!

So Iíve put in a lot of work lately to get ready for a local class race. The same class I began the build for and felt I was out run. Until the car exceeded my expectations. So I had Reed at Work Turbochargers build me a Tex275 80mm cast wheel turbo. And I got some radial pros. Turbo makes so much power down low it was wheelie happy if the front suspension isnít just right. So last Sunday I went out with new pro radials and smashed the oil pan off the trailer. . Stopped by summit on the way home and picked up a new canton drag race pan. Had the car apart that night. Pulled rear main seal since it was leaky.. picked up a pickup tube from Manny and the guys at HPP Tuesday and got my gaskets and rear main. Had the car back together Tuesday night. fired it Wednesday. Good to go. I took Wednesday night to make some pan savers since now I also had the engine blanket on the car. Made it out to the closed testing Thursday, just to figure out I no longer had 2nd gear. (Rolled the sprag). More wheelie damage. Feeling pretty defeated we loaded up and headed home. Friday morning after a few Facebook posts we had a lead on transmission parts. On the verge of giving up. Local trans guy(Mr Wendell) believed he had what I needed would be back to the shop in an hour and will let me know. I had the trans out in a little over and hour Friday morning. After not hearing back from him after a few hours we went to eat lunch and enjoy some drinks. No sooner I had ordered my food and written the weekend off, my phone rings. ďIíve got everything, bring itĒ. We about ran out of the restaurant. Lol. I had him the trans at 3:30. He was done by 6:30. Back to the house at 6:50. Car was running by 8:15. We hauled ass to the track to try and make Q3 and missed it by 10 minutes. But we did get some TNT in and the trans was flawless. Ended up qualifying 14th on Saturday in Q4 with a [email protected] We have a lot of work to do still in the front half and some power left in the tune up. Not bad for a 10yr old 4.6 based 8.8:1 short block and a cast wheel 80. We feel there are still .2-.3 left in it especially once the short times come around. Low 1.2x 60ís isnít gonna cut it.

After trying to get aggressive for E1 we had the #3 guy that had been 4.71. We blew the tires. And little did I know he Red lit. So in turn I made a rookie mistake and missed scales and gave him the win. . What a week.....

Mike

Awesome progress. Car is running great and making some steam. Congrats

Very impressive, Mike.

The pan savers should be a mandatory addition for all these cars. Once the front end starts to come up it is really hard to control what is happening and the driver's effort to moderate the power can easily bring the front end crashing down. The pan savers earn their keep in the blink of an eye.

Nice beginning numbers. My instincts tell me you have a significant step up from where you are that will come from just getting more familiar with the car and tuning the engine. Spend some time on suspension tuning also. You want the car to launch with the wheels three or so inches off the ground returning to ground just before you shift into second gear.

BTW that last photo is to die for. You ought to buy whoever took that one a big beer. It is stunning and look where your front tires are!

Ed

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last