Replacement 9-Way Adjustable Secondary Sprockets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Replacement 9-Way Adjustable Secondary Sprockets

Cloyes has stopped manufacturing their adjustable secondary gears for the 4V Modmotor for more than a year now. The inventory in the distribution channel has dried up and the gears are essentially not available anymore.

I was speaking with the folks at Boundry's pump division. They currently make a billet heat treated 21 tooth 4340 crank gear for the 4.6L and 5.4L engines. Travis has been considering making 9-Way adjustable gears for the cams but has not yet.

If Boundry could make a heat treated 4340 9-Way adjustable secondary gear set available again how much interest is there out there for this type of product?

Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 01-24-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

We REALLY REALLY REALLY need the aftermarket to step up for the 4v guys. Stuff is getting harder to find and if you do find stuff you will pay a premium. I wish they had the aftermarket like a pushrod or 2v. So when I melt a head I can just pick up the phone and order another one. It's making me want to move up to coyote stuff or back to good old pushrod stuff. Just my opinion! So yes we need them! Thanks ed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hang in there with the Modmotors, Nick. The Coyote platform in supercharged form is more tender than it appears. The smaller bore on the Modmotor, the longer valves and straighter ports all add up to a better platform choice.

The Coyote variable valve timing is necessary for low speed torque in the n/a engine. As anyone who has used a blown 4.6 will tell you there is no shortage of low speed torque and there is no variable valve timing. Isn't it interesting that Mihovitz does not use a Coyote in his race car ...

Ed

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array

It would just be nice to have more aftermarket when it comes to blocks, heads, intakes that dont cost a million dollars. I prefer to keep what I have over making a switch

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That would be fantastic, Ed. Travis makes some great stuff and there definitely is a market for these gears. Just too bad Cloyes quit since their design really works. If someone steps up, they’d probably sell these easily.

I know that is the same opinion I have, Joe. However, I am a bit surprised that more people have not offered thoughts or interest on this thread. Makes me sort of question my assumptions.

I had bumped into Travis at the PRI show in December and had a great discussion with him. Top shelf guy. He has been toying with the idea of producing these for several months now. Predictably other alligators in the swamp are getting all the attention right now however.

One of the aggravating issues with the Cloyes stuff was the fact they would have bad batches from time to time and the expected timing changes for the keyway used would not occur. Apparently the keyways were not consistently or precisely cut in the gears. Cloyes $35 or $39 pricing was sort of a tip off about the quality of the product but for a long time it was the only offering out there. Today shops like L&M are having custom pieces made to fill the need but that also comes with custom price points.

Ed

am very intrested!!!!!

Senior Member Array smashedheadcat's Avatar

I’d be interested in a set. I’m sure there are quite a few that would be interested, but the reality is that there just isn’t a lot of traffic here anymore. Modfords has a heck of an archive, but nobody posts here anymore.

Ed there would be a ton of interest. There has been 3-4 posts just this past week on Facebook asking what to do since you can't buy the Cloyes anymore.

Since you are not on FB, if you want I can post up in the appropriate groups to get you a ballpark figure.

Let me know.

--Joe

I'd buy two sets today.

As others have mentioned it has died around here. I fell off the map for a while, almost 11 years, and recently have been getting back into the car. How much has moved to social media platforms is not surprising but it still feels weird to get on a Facebook group for a car since that last I remember I was coming here. It also use to be easy to get parts for the 4.6 Modular stuff and now it is starting to turn into this "special" yesteryear piece. This place is still special since historically for Terminators is was the place to be when the cars were new. Some may argue SVTP but I spent most my time here so I'm biased I suppose. Ed, I guess what I'm driving at is you can't take a 11hr sample from this thread when it was first started and base an interest on this part off of that. But I do remember a time when that was probably possible. Now I check this forum once a week. I use to be on here at times once an hour.

Member Array

Hi Ed,
    as you know i have just had a 7 way secondary sprocket disintegrate which broke the chain and bent 6 valves so yes i am looking for good quality Billet 9 way secondary sprockets.

thanks jonathan

Thanks Joe, please do.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    Ed there would be a ton of interest. There has been 3-4 posts just this past week on Facebook asking what to do since you can't buy the Cloyes anymore.

Since you are not on FB, if you want I can post up in the appropriate groups to get you a ballpark figure.

Let me know.

--Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Screamn03 View Post
    I'd buy two sets today.

As others have mentioned it has died around here. I fell off the map for a while, almost 11 years, and recently have been getting back into the car. How much has moved to social media platforms is not surprising but it still feels weird to get on a Facebook group for a car since that last I remember I was coming here. It also use to be easy to get parts for the 4.6 Modular stuff and now it is starting to turn into this "special" yesteryear piece. This place is still special since historically for Terminators is was the place to be when the cars were new. Some may argue SVTP but I spent most my time here so I'm biased I suppose. Ed, I guess what I'm driving at is you can't take a 11hr sample from this thread when it was first started and base an interest on this part off of that. But I do remember a time when that was probably possible. Now I check this forum once a week. I use to be on here at times once an hour.

Good to see you back, Michael. The site participation has gradually migrated more towards the engine builder side of the street and race car stuff. You should feel right at home in the discussions.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt287 View Post
    Hi Ed,
    as you know i have just had a 7 way secondary sprocket disintegrate which broke the chain and bent 6 valves so yes i am looking for good quality Billet 9 way secondary sprockets.

thanks jonathan
    Travis should get my sample sprockets this week so it looks like it is about to become game on time.

The Cloyes sprockets were manufactured with an increased root diameter on the sprocket to take up chain slack. It was an effort back in the day to avoid having to tension the passenger side chain with the backwards OEM tensioner. The idea was to use a larger root diameter on the sprockets, pick up the slack there and then not use / need the OEM secondary tensioner. The approach did not pick up many followers and the correctly designed secondary tensioner became the preferred solution for everyone.

I believe Travis is going to deliver his usual excellent job of product design and manufacturing.

Ed

Ed,

I just posted it up, we'll see what happens. I know I am interested in a set.

--Joe

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last