Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Oil pump and oil system

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Foxandthefish 
#1 ·
What's everyone doing for oil pump, pan, and RPM on 4.6 mod motors? New to this DOHC platform and with my LS stuff it starts cavitation at high RPM. Is there any similar issues with mod motors? I'm building a Teksid block with Kellogg crank, B heads and stock cobra intake. Is there an RPM limit to that oil pump design like the LS? Really looking forward to this build.

Thanks Dan

#6 ·
Here is another article worth a few moments, click here => Why You Want to Use Standard Bore Sizes. In the pre thin wall casting days and in particular when dealing with n/a engines the few additional inches of displacement and horsepower available for competition engines argued that you over bore the block to the extent allowed by the association rules.

When dealing with thin wall castings and particluarly when dealing with supercharged street driven engines, going to the maximum overbore for the particular block is not your friend. The few horsepower represented by the additional displacement is more easily and less expensively made up with a pulley change in the supercharger drive mechanism. Additionally the thin wall castings will allow the cylinders to distort under maximum cylinder pressure which will not only loose any potential power increases you were anticipating but also eventually crack what is left of the liner in those cylinders.

Lastly and perhaps most profoundly once a cylinder liner has failed the block either needs to be re-sleeved in all eight bores or simply replaced with a new OEM block - either route is a pricey alternative. Of course don't forget the potential piston replacement issues - unless you overbore the new block to use the old pistons and start the path down the block replacement road once again.

Ed

#7 ·
Id rather pay for new stock bore pistons and a torque plate hone over having the block bored to fit these and keep the cylinder wall thickness. Its a turbo car so I doubt I would see any HP gain from losing structure stability going .020 over. I 100% agree with what you're saying Ed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.