Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Calling ed

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  eschaider 
#1 ·
I have a head gasket question. So I'm trying to choose a head gasket thickness and the piston is sitting .010 under the deck. Should I get .030 .036 .040 based on quench? Or If I go with the .030 will it still handle boost well? I have been trying to research this topic and everything I have e seen is you want a total of .040 for maximum quench (.010 under deck plus .030 gasket. Is quench that important? Or should I just base my gasket thickness for compression and boost.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#2 · (Edited)
Don't worry about quench in a pentroof cylinder head design Nick, it does not exist on these engines.

MLS gaskets like Cometic and FelPro are excellent up through 28 psi of boost and are available in thicknesses of 0.030", 0.040", 0.050" and possibly more. FelPro gaskets are available under two different part numbers for our engines. There are a number of different part numbers for ModMotor gaskets from FelPro. Some are for 2V, 3V engines some are for trucks and possibly other vehicle types.

There are two FelPro sets for supercharged engines. The original gaskets Ford spec'd (part #'s 1140 and 1141) and the final gaskets Ford spec'd for the supercharged engine, part #'s 26187 and 26222. The reason for the two generations of gasket is that Ford made a change in their head gasket coolant hole diameters late in the life cycle of our engines. Felpro incorporated that change in their gaskets numbered 26187 PT (LH) and 26222 (RH) for left hand and right hand engine sides. The later gaskets are the ones you want.

BTW don't forget Modmotor gaskets are different side to side. Don't mix them up when you install them and remember Ford thinks of sides as if you were sitting in the driver's seat. In the FWIW bucket the Cometic's run from about $120 to $150 per gasket and the FrlPro's are $37 and $40 per gasket. The FelPro's are the hands down winners. You can get them at Summit or Jegs.

BTW when you get attacked by the squish crowd you might want to remember that the piston deck height on the GT500 and Trinity engines had the piston down in the bore 0.171" and 0.074" respectively, see table below;

Rectangle Font Number Circle Screenshot

Don't get sucked into the well intentioned but misinformed squish arguments. They belong in pushrod, wedge chambered engine designs not our engines. The only thing deck height affects on our engines is compression ratio and piston to valve clearance.

Ed

#8 · (Edited)
Excellent post as usual, Ed! I also will second (third?) the praise for the Fel-Pro 26187PT & 26222PT MLS gaskets.

Edit: P.S. On an unrelated note, my in-depth tour of the Brookpark Engine Plant is in the works. Hopefully they’ll allow a camera so I can put up a new thread on it. Can’t wait to see my Explorer’s EcoBoost engine from start to finish - should be extremely cool, to say the least!

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the supportive words, Joe.

As a kid, growing up, I used to live literally 5 miles from Ford's Brookpark Engine Plant. Back in those days the plant was making the 255 inch 2V indy engine and later the 4V Coyote Indy engine. That old 2V pushrod engine made 375 HP out of 255 inches. Here is a pic of what it looked like;

Auto part Machine Gas Font Nickel

Of course the one that broke everyone's brain back in the day was the DOHC 4V Coyote. According to some old Ford literature I found, it produced a little north of 500 hp at 7500 rpm! Not bad for a 1964 effort. This is what it looked like from the outside;

Machine Wood Font Metal Auto part

You began to understand the reason for the performance when you saw the cutaway view Ford published in their service manual for the engine;

Motor vehicle Gesture Font Emblem Symbol

Check out that intake port cutaway on the driverside bank. Stunning is one of the words that comes to mind.

Anyhow it was the dream of all the performance oriented teenagers who lived near the plant to be able to get a plant tour to see these incredible engines being built there. Predictably Ford showed everything but the Indy car engine program at that time, on the tours. :weep:

I suspect today they probably have a portion of the tour dedicated to these incredible engines of years past. If they do, I would definitely try to see the display. Wish I could be there to join you ...

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.