Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Desktop version?

4K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Vintage Racer 
#1 ·
Hey guys, wondering if there is a desktop version on here to access and use on my iPad instead of the mobile version that I think is stopping me from viewing most pics on older threads?

#7 · (Edited)
The Photobucket problem arises from the firm's decision to charge for what they had previously provided free. Photobucket unilaterally selected a drop dead date by which time you need to participate with them in a fee based relationship going forward or they would cease to host your images for you. If, as many elected to do, you chose not to participate your photos were no longer hosted.

Later they softpedaled their original hard line position but by them most folks had already experienced enough and elected to no longer use Photobucket. When you see a watermark on a photo that says 'proudly hosted on photobucket' that is a photo and user who chose to trust them one more time - most everyone else did not.

Ed

#8 ·
...Later they softpedaled their original hard line portion but by them most folks had already experienced enough and elected to no longer use Photobucket.
Everything you said is true. It also has the worst customer service in the world.

I had actually paid to remove the watermark but nothing happened. I kept records which I forwarded to my credit card company. I got a fast refund.

I still have more than a thousand pictures hosted by them that I am too lazy to move. Many forums allow a download of a picture using their storage so it is now easier to do that drop. Photobucket had an opportunity to be a big stock market player but fell asleep. I now mostly use Amazon Prime to store pictures with another hard storage.

1995 Cobra R Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Wheel

#9 · (Edited)
Most forums used some version of vBulletin as their Forum software engine. vBulletin, as luck would have it, allows forum members to save photos to a forum database that you can reference to display the pics. This is generally a better approach to managing the photographic data. The challenge in getting people to use the service was the fact that Photobucket was one of if not the original hosting medium.

I suspect as Photobucket management changed, their business model evolved also. As they began to investigate the possibility of an IPO, the idea of a recurring revenue model became increasingly popular and free became increasingly unpopular. That said their handling of the situation left a bad taste with most users. It'll be interesting to see what impact their past decisions and behavior might have on their fortunes going forward.

Ed

#10 ·
..I suspect as Photobucket management changed, their business model evolved also. As they began to investigate the possibility of an IPO, the idea of a recurring revenue model became increasingly popular and free became increasingly unpopular. That said their handling of the situation left a bad taste with most users. It'll be interesting to see what impact their past decisions and behavior might have on their fortunes going forward...
Photobucket, the website was founded in 2003 by Alex Welch and Darren Crystal and received funding from Trinity Ventures. It was acquired by Fox Interactive Media in 2007. In December 2009, Fox's parent company, News Corp sold Photobucket.

I was optimistic when Fox interactive (one of many content providers under that name) bought it in 2007.

They dumped it in 2009 to some imaging start-up called Onetela. Onetela bought it for Report: Ontela in talks to buy Photobucket in $60 million deal

Ontela's new idea is to provide technology infrastructure for wireless carriers that allow consumers to unlock photos in camera phones. ... Ontela's PicDeck technology has been certified by 30 operators including Verizon, T-Mobile, and Alltel on more than 100 handsets.

Any yet, no one can use photobucket on a mobile device.

Can we just say that this is a failure of the management? I tried to pay for it, and I think other guys also did so. They failed and failed again to gain revenue.

#11 · (Edited)
Interesting back story VR (BTW if you have a first name you want to share, we'll use it). The transition from a MySpace $250 million acquisition in 2007 to a $60 million fire sale to Ontela in 2009 sort of says it all. Ontela's acquisition and stewardship from 2009 forward speaks volumes about the future of the service. Thanks for the insights.

Ed

#12 ·
Interesting back story VR (BTW if you have a first name you want to share, we'll use it). The transition from a MySpace $250 million acquisition in 2007 to a $60 million fire sale to Ontela in 2009 sort of says it all. Ontela's acquisition and stewardship from 2009 forward speaks volumes about the future of the service.
My name is Doc. I raced a 1965 Mustang in vintage racing for 25 years.

I get your comparison of the good MySpace to the other failed internet services.

That said, Facebook bought other products and services. It acquired Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus, and GrokStyle and independently developed Facebook Messenger, Facebook Watch, and Facebook Portal.. It has 2.3B customers (but not me).

I do own the stock. I also own the other big advertising company in the game (Google). I do use it.

I'd suggest that the overall tech (or FANG) is fully priced in the stock price. The new IPO's are really poor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.