Re sealing a canton oil pan

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Array cobraracer46's Avatar

Default Re sealing a canton oil pan

When I first installed a Canton oil pan in my 2001 Cobra, I followed Canton's instructions that called for using sealant between the engine block and the windage tray and a gasket between the windage tray and the block. Unfortunately, A leak developed and it became an irritation that needed to get fixed. The repair involved using two oil pan gaskets and Im happy to report that after a mouth of driving, the oil pan gasket area is as dry as a bone.

Interestedly enough, Ford service documentation for the 2000 Cobra R also says to use two gaskets. Perhaps, Canton is wrong to suggest using sealant?

Ford service procedure

some photos of the oil pan leak repair job.
    Name:  IMG_8047.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  81.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_8049.jpg
Size:  126.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_8052.jpg
Size:  83.3 KB
    Name:  NFYT2666.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  143.2 KB
    Name:  VALG4638.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  162.5 KB
    Name:  JSCT8074.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  132.4 KB

The quicktime bell housing bottom bolts caused a minor interference but once they were removed, a long allen socket and 10mm socket were used to remove the rear oil pan fasteners.
    The Maximum Motorsports K member dropped easily and there was no need to remove the coil over kit or control arms.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

The double gasket fix you have settled on Jan is the time tested, best fix whenever a windage tray, oil scraper or other device is secured between the oil pan and the block. I doubt you will experience continued oil leaks going forward.

Ed

4. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread