+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
07-22-2019, 04:16 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jul 2019
New Member with interesting project
I'm in the process of building a Baja Bug for recreational offroad use and, maybe, race.
Basic plan is a 1969 VW Bug with mid-engine 4.6L + 4R70W with Manual shift kit from Transgo + 8.8 IRS rear end with CV axles to the rear wheels.
You may ask "why"? Well...
1) I already have the 1969 VW and have a 2.0L Ford Pinto engine (with the German block) with New-Old-Stock Esslinger Engineering Kit to mate it up to a VW Transaxle.
2) However, the money required to rebuild and bump that 2.0L up to a reasonable HP level, AND get a VW Transaxle to handle it is excessive.
a) I will try to sell the 2.0L and Kit and use the money on the 4.6L Swap.
3) For a lot less money, I can get a complete, running Crown Vic with 4.6L + 4R70W. In fact, I have my eye on one, now, that I might be able to get FREE!
4) Stock HP on that 4.6L will be more than double the HP of the 2.0L for basically the same engine length.
a) 210+ Stock HP, even with the added engine & tranny weight, should push that 69 VW chassis with no problem.
5) Switching to mid-engine is not that big of a deal, since I don't need a rear seat anyway. Plus, I hope to use it to advantage in balance and handling characteristics.
7) It will be fun and different!
Now, what I hope to gain from this forum is knowledge on how to keep the 4.6L as stock as possible, but improve reliability and longevity and fix any "problem" areas associated with this engine. I've already studied the 4R70W in depth and know what I need to do with it.
Looking forward to getting to know you folks!
Take care and God Bless!
Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements