LA Sleeve FL-3244 Help

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default LA Sleeve FL-3244 Help

At the recommendation of Ed from his "why you want to use stock bores" article, I have decided to use the FL-3244 Sleeve. I was looking to see what gasket from SCE I could run while maintaining a stock bore, or if this is even possible. I have a 30+psi boost goal, and plan on there being a receiver groove in these flanged sleeves. However, it looks like SCE's smallest bore offering on their ProCopper or Titan gaskets is 3.625 with the stock bore being 3.552. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Robert

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

The 3.625 bore gasket is what is needed for the stock bore, or at least it's what I've used in the past. I thought they use to offer a 3.620 gasket as well, but it's been a while since I've had to buy any so I haven't been looking. I run the 3.750 bore gaskets on my 3.7 bore motors.

They might still offer a 3.620 gasket and I just missed it. Is this commonplace among head gaskets? I was always taught to match the gasket bore to the engine bore. I find it strange SCE would have it some other way. Very weird. But if they work they work!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Apologies Robert, I started this reply right after you posted and got interrupted, went into brain fade and forgot to post it.

Jim is right about the 3.625 gasket. That gasket on a 3.552 bore provides (3.625-3.551)/2 or 0.0365" clearance between the cylinder bore and the innermost edge of the gasket. Either the 3.620 or 3.625 gaskets will work. SCE still has the 3.620 gaskets on their website and Summit has them also. The summit website seems to be a bit handicapped right now the correct Summit part numbers are SCE-T466243L for the left and SCE-T466243R for the right. If Summit is to bollixed up Jegs should have them also and SCE will sell direct to you.

The remainder below is my original response;

SCE standard bore gaskets have either a 3.620 diameter hole or a 3.625" diameter hole in the gasket. When you use the LA Sleeve replaceable liner you want to machine a receiver groove into the top of the sleeve flange that is concentric with and registers with a corresponding stainless wire o-ring in the head.

A gasket with a 3.620" diameter hole will provide (3.620-3.552)/2 or 0.034" clearance between the cylinder bore and the inner most edge of the gasket all the way around the bore. This is more than adequate. That said, SCE uses CNC driven waterjet machinery to manufacture the gaskets and they can build you a special bore size at what ever dimension you would like to use.

I think you will be quite happy with the 3.620" bore x 0.043" thick gasket.

Ed

Thank you for your help Ed. I will pick these up. Are there any specifics I need to tell the machine shop that will be sleeving the block in regards to where & how the receiver groove and stainless wire should be installed?

Quote Originally Posted by rainyp71 View Post
    Thank you for your help Ed. I will pick these up. Are there any specifics I need to tell the machine shop that will be sleeving the block in regards to where & how the receiver groove and stainless wire should be installed?
    There are. Right now I have to go to a dinner with family and friends. I'll post up the specs later tonight.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
    There are. Right now I have to go to a dinner with family and friends. I'll post up the specs later tonight.

Ed
    Absolutely zero rush, family is the most important.

Details for anyone interested in these sleeves, you can purchase them direct from LA Sleeve for $880 with $30 shipping to most of the US. Seems like a reasonable price for what you're getting.

Robert,

Here is the sleeve O-Ring receiver groove placement details;

Name:  ModMtr Flanged Sleeve.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  35.5 KB

I have the location specs as both a .PNG image file (above) and also a printable pdf file below.

Be sure your shop has done this type of work previously. You do not want to be the guinea pig they use to learn on.

Remember our cylinders are on 100 mm bore centers which is the 3.937" dimension in the drawings.

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eschaider; 08-28-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Great thanks Ed! What size stainless wire should be ran in the heads?

There are two commonly used wire sizes that are amazingly close, 0.043" and 0.041". If you go to Jegs or Summit to buy the wire, it will be 0.041". Here is a link to the SCE wire on Summit, click here => O-Ring Wire Kit. It is virtually identical on Jegs.

I have attached the SCE installation guide for their solid copper Pro series gaskets, the kind you should use.

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great, can I not use the Titan Copper gaskets with the oil/coolant seal material on the gasket? NOT the ICS Titan gaskets. The Titan copper look identical to me as the pro copper, just with added sealant which I wouldn't mind.

Yes you can, and more importantly, it is the correct way to go. I misused the Pro naming convention when I should have used the Titan naming convention. The only difference is the coolant and oil sealing that the Titan version provides. Otherwise the gaskets are the same.

Although I have not made a big deal of it in this thread, you absolutely do not want to run the Titan gaskets without the stainless wire o-ring in the head and corresponding receiver groove in the flanges of the sleeves. While we are in the absolute do not want bucket, you absolutely do not want to run the ICS versions of their gaskets with your sleeved version of the engine. The correct gasket is the Titan, receiver grooves in the sleeve flanges and stainless wire o-rings in the heads. BTW the gaskets are reusable — how about those apples ...

Ed

Reusable, well thats awesome! And glad we are on the same page. I wish SCE's naming scheme was a bit more concise!

Ed, another question. What depth should the receiver groove be cut to in the sleeve flange?

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last