Turbo Engine Re-Build - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 First 123456 Last

Nothing great to report on this week, got the l.a. sleeved stock bore block back from the machine shop, order placed to gibtec....waiting on parts to arrive....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

While ordering gaskets, I noticed the difference in oil filter adapter gaskets. Searched the forums a bit and now I’m convinced the Nemak block used a different oil filter adapter. Unfortunately I don’t have one, just the ‘04 model. Am I right in the assumption these will not interchange? If so, to make searching easier, what is the part number for the adapter I’m looking for?

The coolant / remote oil filter adapter on the side of the block only came in two variations (blessedly), Matt. The original variety was the Teksid compatible boss/adapter. The second was the WAP compatible boss/adapter. For a long time you could identify the correct gasket by color code. Blue was for WAP and orange was for everything else. Somewhere along the time line the color coding was abandoned and today it is not necessarily the litmus test it once was.

This is a pic of a WAP "blue gasket"and the everything else "orange gasket" before the aftermarket threw color coding out the door;

Name:  Aluminum Blk Gasket.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  21.9 KBName:  Iron Block Gasket.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  16.4 KB

The Non-WAP variety had a slightly smaller water inlet which usually but not always means leakage if you use the wrong pieces on your block.

The original Ford Non-WAP adapter looked like the adapter on the top and the WAP adapter looked like the unit on the bottom;

Name:  Iron Block -C Version.png
Views: 25
Size:  140.9 KBName:  Aluminum Block -A5 Version.png
Views: 22
Size:  80.7 KB

Visually they are quite similar. The primary distinction is the size and gasketing of the water inlet. Neither of the Ford pieces are offered by Ford anymore. There are a few that pop up from time to time but by and large they are gone. Original pricing was ~$160 which dropped to just below $100 at its low point. Today because of availability it is basically whatever the market will allow.

The absolute nicest aftermarket equivalent available today is made by Cobra Engineering and is available for both WAP and non-WAP blocks. You need to specify which you need when you order. The adapter (irrespective of block identity) looks like this;

Name:  CE Oil delete 0.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  155.6 KB

The Cobra Engineering pieces are available here => Cobra Engineering Oil Cooler Delete

Ed
    Last edited by eschaider; 12-10-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Fixed broken pic links

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Ed, that’s what I ran into while first noticing differences in gaskets. Sadly enough, it’s cheaper to find a remote mount rather than original piece!

With both gaskets in hand, both seal on the 99-04 oil filter adapter. The water outlet orifice has the shorter roof than the later gasket but I don’t see why the material either cant be removed on the filter adapter, or just accept the orifice is larger on the block than the adapter.

Is there more to the story than meets the eye? Would be interested in trying to adapt a 99-04 adapter on an ‘05 block.

No. One can be massaged to fit but the other can not. WAP adapter to non-WAP block can usually (not always) work. Non-WAP adapter to WAP block usually (again not always) does not work. Better to use the right pieces. They produce happier endings.

Ed

Ed, to clarify, the two filter adapters you showed look to be models with relocated filters. If what I am seeing is correct, that adapter doesn’t have a filter provision. Were all the aluminum blocks like that? I have a piece that looks like this, is there an applicable unit like that that will fit the Novak block?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There were many made by Ford for various model years. They all had two things in common. The first was that at least one significant turn of 90˚ was placed in the water inlet and throttled the water pump. The second was that the oil passages to and from the filter usually had a minimum of two turns / bends in the oil flow that impeded oil flow.

On a daily driver, even in relatively warm climates, this usually did not create a problem. In high output, performance engines it could be a different story. Restricted coolant and lubricant flows always work to the detriment of the engine. Does that mean they all failed? Not necessarily, however it does mean that a wide range of cooling and lubrication shortcomings became more obvious.

The performance versions that Ford designed in my post #48 removed all turns from both the oil and coolant flows and also upsized the coolant inlet to a 2" radiator hose! There are a lot of aftermarket look-a-likes but by far the FRPP part was the cream of the crop.

When FRPP quit offering the part Cobra Engineering built their beautiful billet version that duplicates the FRPP part ad provides good oil and coolant flows. The piece is cheap money when you look at how much you are going to have invested in your build. This is not a piece I would try to save money on.

BTW one of the other problems with the stock OEM piece, in particular the ones with the 'oil cooler' addition was the inability to clean foreign particulate matter out of the oil cooling component and the follow on engine failures of rebuilt engines, as that particulate matter found its way throughout the oiling system. It is like putting the oil filter from a blown engine on your new build — we wouldn't even consider doing something like that.

Build your engine with the most protections you can. Find an FRPP part or buy a Cobra Engineering unit.

Ed

Another fine piece from Cobra Engineering, thanks again for the great advice Ed!

Got the hotside back from Jet-Hot, Coates it in their newer 2000 finish, which was unavailable when new. Because their old finish held up so well, I decided to go back. Also got some turbo blankets to compliment. Will see how it works!

Quote Originally Posted by CrucialProspect View Post
    Another fine piece from Cobra Engineering, thanks again for the great advice Ed!
    Very nice, Matt! James pieces are beyond eye candy, they are more like racing jewelry for the engine. Best of all they just fit and work flawlessly. Great pick!

Got the hotside back from Jet-Hot, Coates it in their newer 2000 finish, which was unavailable when new. Because their old finish held up so well, I decided to go back. Also got some turbo blankets to compliment. Will see how it works!
    The Jet-Hot visual presentation has always been superb. I really like the underhood looks this will contribute to the engine bay (at last the pieces that you can see). We have always had good experiences with Jet-Hot and their coatings just as you have. I do prefer the look of this finish on turbo plumbing, very clean.

Ed

Ed, would you consider the megasquirt knock sensor/protection to be superior to the vampire system?

I really feel like the ability to control each cylinders fuel and spark will not only increase performance/efficiency, but also make it safer.

I hope you have better results with the Jet Hot coatings than I do. I had all the piping after the turbos done by them inside and out and there is no ceramic coating left at all on the inside. All the pipes were brand new and now the piping is completely rusting out from the inside and the E85 probably accelerates the process.

ks

Ed, would you consider the megasquirt knock sensor/protection to be superior to the vampire system?

I really feel like the ability to control each cylinders fuel and spark will not only increase performance/efficiency, but also make it safer.

Both operate on a cylinder by cylinder basis and do spark timing recovery similarly, although they go about cylinder identification slightly differently. MS is already running the entire engine so they have access to engine operating data available directly, Vampire uses some very clever logic to arrive at the same information. I think you would be well served by either. Using the code that is built into the MS3Pro makes for a simpler wiring event.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by KEVINS View Post
    I hope you have better results with the Jet Hot coatings than I do. I had all the piping after the turbos done by them inside and out and there is no ceramic coating left at all on the inside. All the pipes were brand new and now the piping is completely rusting out from the inside and the E85 probably accelerates the process.

ks
    Sorry to hear! Did their lifetime warranty not cover it?

18. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 First 123456 Last