Running E85 and water in tailpipes

+ Reply to Thread

Default Running E85 and water in tailpipes

When running E85 and full length exhaust does your car blow more water out the tailpipes?

I had to pull all the exhaust pipes off from the turbos to the rear bumper including replacing the mufflers and clean it all out due to an oiling issue. I got it all back together and while letting it run for 15 minutes or more there seems to be a lot of water coming out the tailpipes. I loosened the down pipes to see what they looked like and there is a lot of water droplets inside them.

I have antifreeze in the radiator but the water in the tailpipes seems to be clear and I don't taste antifreeze in the water...

I also may have to do a leakdown test b/c it seems to blow a lot of ?? out the pipes. Maybe it's just water or maybe it's oil.. Kinda nervous right now.

ks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

You're OK Kevin. Don't worry be happy.

Both the alcohols (ethanol and methanol) produce considerable water during the first five or ten minutes after firing up. The actually produce it all the time but once the exhaust plumbing comes up to temperature the water goes to its gaseous form and comes out the tail pipe as steam mixed with combustion gases. Perfectly normal all ally engines do this.

A word of caution for those using E-85 and not running stainless exhaust components. Anything that is non stainless is at risk of rusting especially over time.

Ed

Thanks Ed,
    I knew about the additional water but I've never had the car idling this long to see how much actually comes out the tail pipes. Once the water on the floor evaporated there was no stain either.

ks

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

I know what you mean, Kevin. It is pretty much pure distilled water that the combustion process produces.

When I was at Bowling Green this year they shut AJ off on the starting line because of that water coming out the exhaust during the burnout. They thought it was coolant. AJ runs a dry block so we knew it wasn't coolant. Once we explained it was from the methanol during the cold start idle warm up they backed off and let him race.

Until the exhaust system comes up to temperature there is the liquid water phenomena. Once it is hot enough to vaporize the water it does not appear as liquid, but it is still there in vapor form.

Ed

I will also emphasize your comment above about non-stainless exhaust rusting: I built my entire system from new mild steel then had it ceramic coated inside and out from Jet Hot coatings. Within a few thousand miles the insides of the pipes were completely rusted with no sign of coating. Now the insides are full of rust "barnacles" and rust sheets are flaking off.
    IMO, having the insides ceramic coated is a waste of $$. I did a cost analysis to see what the cost difference would be and SS was still a lot more $$ than doing mild steel and ceramic coating so the SS was not in the budget. But.....

ks

8. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread