Terminator Knock Sensor Location

+ Reply to Thread

Default Terminator Knock Sensor Location

Since Terminators didn't come with knock sensor or mounts in the normal valley location like other aluminum blocks, I understand there is place they can be mounted on the side. There is one near the starter but on my car the engine mount and other things preclude this location.
    I found this plug on the DS just behind the engine mount is this a viable location?
    The 25k$ question, what pours out of there if I remove it?

Name:  Engine-Knock Sensor.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  55.6 KB

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

You want to use a step stud, Mike. Put it in the top rear motor mount hole or the unused bottom rear motor mount hole just below the top hole with a stand off to get the knock sensor some clearance from the motor mount.. This is what a step stud looks like;

Name:  Step stud.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  27.9 KB

Google step studs and search the list of suppliers for the length(s) and diameters you want. I believe the motor mount bolt holes are 12mm. The knock sensors, I think, are 8 mmm you should check your sensors. You might want to consider using a stainless stud to protect it from corrosion.

Ed

Ahh I remember now thats what i determined and where I stopped last time, I thought I would have to take a bolt and machine it down.
    So in re: to the mounting location it would be the other hole in that pic below the engine mount?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

OK i'm a impatient SOB, instead of ordering a step stud, I used a SS bolt and drilled the knock sensor out just a hair. The bolt was soooo close to the right size and the sensor had some meat in there, besides I have extra sensors in case it want sideways.
    It came out great and I look forward to getting that to work and playing with it. I guess it's best used around the torque peak area?

Name:  Engine-Knock Sensor.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  61.6 KB

As long as you don't damage the sensor that is an equally good solution.

Ed

I used recoil kit, and made thread one size smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangMikeMia View Post
    OK i'm a impatient SOB, instead of ordering a step stud, I used a SS bolt and drilled the knock sensor out just a hair. The bolt was soooo close to the right size and the sensor had some meat in there, besides I have extra sensors in case it want sideways.
    It came out great and I look forward to getting that to work and playing with it. I guess it's best used around the torque peak area?

You can get knock at almost any engine speed. The magic ingredients are engine load, fuel mixture, cylinder head temperature and timing. Get the recipe right and the knock just happens.

Knock has a specific sonic signature and knock windows where is has a greater probability of occurring. MS goes into this in the setup section of the manual for the knock sensors. Whoever did the writing did a pretty good job of describing and explaining. I think you will find it an excellent reference source.

Ed

10. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread