TFS head port matching

+ Reply to Thread

Default TFS head port matching

I guess I never noticed this before, but while tearing down the engine I noticed, the exhaust especially, could use a port match job! Anyone try this? Any TRUE benefit, would the increased volume help or hurt velocity? Seems like there is a good 10% of that port choked off, I’ve checked the gasket to header and it seems pretty darn close in port shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

The intake seems like it could clean up with a port match on the inside (towards the valley) however, the skirted lip is only 1/4” aluminum, I’d be worried about thinning out the material too much.

By looking at fox lakes website, they are only advertising an 8cfm at .600 lift difference in ported, so apparently there isn’t much to gain on that side. The intake can gain about 30cfm. Without anyone willing to shell out $1200 for a single sacrificial head, I can see how it’s easy to shy away from home porting. It would be hard to see how thin jacket walls are and how much material can be removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, Matt. One way to get answers, to the how much is there question, might be to find a head in a salvage yard or a blown up piece at a shop and use it to slice and dice until you are comfortable with what you find.

Ed

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

For a turbo application I would leave it alone. I'm sure your TFS heads flow more than my ported heads and you won't be lacking in power when it's all done.

ks

7. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread