Oil in the spark plug wells.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Oil in the spark plug wells.

Hi, I recently started a 2003 cobra motor that hasn't been started in over 3 years. I had recently put in new plugs, and oil and didn't see any oil then.
    I ran it on and off for about 45 min total, not much above idle to start tuning, and when i went to check the plugs I found fresh oil in the spark plug wells of 1,2 5,and 6. It appeared to be above the plugs sealed by the cop, I assume there is some gasket in the plug tube attached to the valve cover but didn't have a chance to take it apart last night.
    I tried the valve cover bolts and found one that was maybe a few ftlb short but the others seemed snug.
    Have you guys had that happen before?
    Is the fix a little sealant, or new gaskets, or clean and retorq?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array 03yllwcobra's Avatar

I had it happen to me recently, I pulled the cover and put a new gasket and new tube seals on it. I also used the permatex indian head gasket compound on the valve cover side and some rtv on the cylinder head side. I smeared the rtv down with my finger, to make it kind of like a film, you don't want a lot on there.

OK thx, ill pull the DS one for now and see what i have to order. pulling the PS one will require the TB and elbow to come off requiring even more gaskets to order.
    Anyone ever have an issue just using a very thin layer of like permatex Grey on the elbow/TB? I am injecting water/meth so looks like the Black is more resistant to that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

If your careful you can just reuse the original gasket.
    I’ve had mine apart over half a dozen times and I’m still on the original throttle body gasket and original elbow to blower gasket

7. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread