Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Art..oil paintings.. My new hobby.

9K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  4sdvenom 
#1 ·
I gotta post this painting I have been working on. I started oil painting using the Bob Ross method about 5 years ago. Last year a buddy mentioned that I should try painting women. So this is my 5th attempt at painting a woman and I am BLOWN AWAY at how this is coming out. There are so many stages to a painting at this level and I simply learned from watching a lot of YouTube vids over the last year. Actually this is my first attempt at painting eyes. Usually I paint the woman from behind or with her eyes closed. The eyes were "blocked" in a few weeks ago with a general shape and colors then tonight I spent 6 hours finalizing them. Obviously a long ways to go with the painting but I think the hard part is over with.

I've been showing some of my pieces around town and now I have gals that want to model for me so I can create my own photos/scenes and paint them.:rock:

ks
Nose Hair Head Lip Lipstick

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Made some adjustments to skin and eye color and I think it looks amazing. I added hair and it too looks great. The low resolution photo doesn't show the hair well but I spent a few evenings just painting individual hairs which was pretty easy.
Last year I couldn't even draw a stick figure...

ks

Forehead Face Hair Skin Lip

#5 ·
Thank You, Ed.
Retirement is in about 10-15 years and I wanted to master a hobby that I could do anywhere.

ks

#10 · (Edited)
I started this one last week and I'm just about done with it already.. This is 24"x30" tall.. I gotta say I struggled all through 2019 learning how to paint, spending hundreds of hours studying YouTube vids and now painting like this is as easy as making oatmeal..

ks

Face Lip Outerwear Shoulder Eyelash

#13 · (Edited)
Just finished this one tonight. I was trying to get it done for an art show in April but the show got canceled like everything else lately :(
ks

Outerwear Black Fashion Sleeve Hat

#15 ·
I have done several pieces since the last posting including a commission piece and even winning the James Ray Award for Realistic Impressionism for another piece. I have been accepted into a local gallery that supports my pieces and I have a plan to enter an international contest (Home - Art Renewal Center) this winter where if I do well can get me serious global recognition.

This Steampunk piece below took me three months to complete and is extremely detailed with each brick painted individually along with single hair strands and the veins in her eyes.

ks
Fashion Headgear Glove Window Victorian fashion

#16 ·
Beautiful work man! Do you take requests? Would you be able to paint a reproduction of 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' by Johannes Vermeer. 1665? Done in original size or slightly larger as it isn't a large painting to begin with. Obviously sign the painting with your own signature since i'm looking to display it, and not pass it off as an original, but then again that would be hard to do as the original has cracks in the painting from being so old and the colors used were unique to that area of Delft, Holland in 1665 and would show obvious aging, but I just love this piece so much, I really want to display it somewhere in my home.

#17 ·
Thanks for the kudos!
Reproducing another painting would be easy enough but I don't do commissions. I did one art display for an afternoon and turned down 13 commission requests b/c I prefer to paint what I want to paint not what someone else wants me to paint. There are people out that that have painted her it's just a matter of finding them.

I have a business plan to sell international within the next three years but in order to do that I need to enter and place very high in the Arc Salon international contest for realism. I know I can do it but I need a great piece, something that the judges won't expect so every free minute I have I am working on concepts trying to come up with one that I feel will be perfect. The contest submission isn't until November but it will take about 3-4 months to paint something good enough for the contest and as of now I don't have an idea...frustrating! The steampunk one above will be entered just to help me get noticed but it's not good enough to place in the contest.

ks

#18 ·
No problem man! Just wanted to see if you did because I like to support forum members and members of the Mustang community. I do know a place that will do the Vermeer painting reproduction for me, I was just wondering if you did them is all. No worries though, and the best of luck to you and I hope you make it in the art world! Make sure to post here for any work or news of your updates as i'm sure we'd all love to know of your progress.

-Ray

Reactions: KEVINS
#19 ·
What got you into enjoying a splash of paint on a canvas? It's nice to see that someone else appreciates art. For me it is a nice distraction to appreciate something other than cars. Some art I can't wrap my mind around like abstract but other pieces can be truly amazing, especially realism and hyper realism. I can paint hyper but it takes so much more time and I don't have the patience for it now. I've incorporated hyper-realism features into several pieces but I don't see the need to do it for an entire piece. Check out Marco Grassi.

I've actually seen the Girl with a Pearl Earring a few years ago while in the Netherlands. Also saw Van Gogh's pieces but I can't say I liked any of them. I can appreciate them b/c the style was extremely different than what anyone else was doing but I still don't like how they look.

ks

#20 ·
You continue to amaze me, Kevin. The work you do is stunningly impressive to me, nothing short of amazing. Admittedly I'm an uneducated art observer, but still ...

Wishing you all the best.

Ed

#22 ·
Here's my second submission piece into the ARC Salon contest. I just finished it last night and I made the image a bit more "work friendly", but just a bit. I have time to do a third painting so now I am trying to come up with a concept for it:

ks

#24 ·
Kevin,

You should pay your models a decent wage. I've noticed a recurring theme where increasingly they apparently can't afford and aren't wearing much clothing ... :)

Ed
Ya know, it cost me more to have them wear less, too... I keep protesting this but they don't see it my way..:cool:

ks

#26 · (Edited)
Here's 2 more quick ones that I did for two different shows. These don't compare in details to my last one above but these were done for a different reason and had to be done quickly.
The international contest entry has been moved back to March 2022 so now I have PLENTY of time to do a third piece to enter so now I just need to come up with a concept.

The photo I took of the first one below is awful so it looks a lot better in person.
The second image below I did in 3 days! I had a private art showing that I wanted to bring a new piece but only had 3 days to start/finish it...success!
Each one is 24"x30"..

ks
Nose Lip Chin Eyebrow Eyelash

Forehead Nose Lip Shoulder Eyelash

#27 ·
I just finished this piece over the holiday weekend. This is the fourth and final piece I am entering into the 2022 ARC Salon International Contest for Realism.
First round notifications don't happen until November 2022 then finalist are notified in Jan 2023.

ks

Hair Leg Bengal tiger Tiger Fashion

#29 ·
WOOHOO!! I made it to the Semi Finalist round!!!!!

All four of my paintings (The Cleansing, Steam Alley, The Awaiting, Norns At Play) made it into the 16th ARC Salon Semi-Finalists category!! They received over 5,400 entries from 75 countries and 2,152 works have been selected as semi-finalists.

The ARC Salon Competition is the largest and most prestigious competition in the world for realist artists with thousands of works competing, culminating in a traveling live exhibition of many of the winning works. This has been a goal that I have been stressing over since I decided to enter last year... Whew!!! Still a ways to go before November 1st next round of eliminations but I'm ecstatic that I made it this far.

Here are my 4 pieces that I entered and have made it into the next round:

ks

World Azure Art Cg artwork Darkness

Bengal tiger Siberian tiger Tiger Flash photography Style

Sleeve Hat Belt Poster Publication

Vertebrate Mammal Art Organism Painting

#30 ·
Kevin,

I've noticed recurring themes in your paintings, one of which I commented on previously and one I have not. The first observation I made, a while back, was that I suspected you were not paying your models a fair wage because so many of them could not afford adequate clothing (your commentary was something about that effect costing more ...).

The other recurring theme I have picked up is that, to your credit, you seem to be using disadvantaged models with some type of lung disease — many of them have chests that are all swollen up! I am confident this is a charitable endeavor on your part to provide them with the necessary funds they need to properly undress address this misfortune :giggle:...

Observational commentary notwithstanding Very Impressive Work!

#31 ·
I gotta be honest I tend to be drawn to those that are in dire need of assistance, ie squeezing into those corsets - but sometimes it just can't be done. Could it be b/c I buy the corsets a tad too small?..hmmmm

ks

#32 ·
Woohoo!!!
I got notified last night that my Steampunk painting has made it into the finalist round of the ARC Salon International contest. It was entered into two categories and is a Finalist in BOTH categories!!
There are approx 150 entries in the one category and over 200 entries in the other one...

Winners will be announced January 2nd...
https://www.artrenewal.org/Salon/Finalists....

ks
Headgear Art Hat Victorian fashion Fashion design

#33 ·
I was thrashing on a new painting over the last 4 weeks and I was informed this morning that it will now be on the cover of an international art magazine “The Guide Artists”!

In addition they also said they will include some of my paintings in their Masterpieces New Edition coming out later in March!

Whew! It’s been a crazy 4 weeks getting this painting done before their deadline (I started it back in November) but I submitted the photo last night and I woke up this morning with the news of it making the cover… WooHoo!

Font Thigh Screenshot Publication Advertising

ks

#34 ·
My oil paintings have made it into another international art magazine but this magazine is out of Japan: 365 Art+ magazine.
This magazine has had Madonna and David Bowie on the cover so to have my paintings published is quite an honor!

KS

Hand Sleeve Font Finger Publication

Product World Publication Font Material property