Intercooled B Head Supercharged Cobra. The one most said couldn't be done!

+ Reply to Thread

Default Intercooled B Head Supercharged Cobra. The one most said couldn't be done!

Wanting to gauge if there's still any interest interest in supercharging the B Head 4.6. It fits under the Cobra hood perfectly but cannot confirm or deny yet if this will fit under a stock Mk8 hood. That I have taken this to the 3D printing stage hopefully shows my commitment to making this happen. Final review, fitment checks and first working prototype by March. Take a look and tell me what you think. James

Name:  B Head SuperCharger IntakeV.2 to 3D print - 6.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  86.9 KBName:  B Head SuperCharger IntakeV.2 to 3D print - 5.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  86.1 KBName:  My Intake - 1.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  43.3 KBName:  My Intake - 2.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  43.6 KBName:  DSC_0944.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  56.5 KBName:  DSC_0947.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  57.4 KBName:  My Intake - 6.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  38.5 KBName:  DSC_0949.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  69.2 KBName:  DSC_0952.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  58.5 KBName:  Cobra-Mk8 SC - 12.0.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  108.3 KBName:  DSC_0349.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  99.0 KBName:  DSC_0351.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  99.7 KB

2. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Very nice design, James. I ike the way you brought the IC plumbing out the back of the manifold instead of the front where real estate is at a premium. When I look at the IC it appears to be about 7/11 th's the chilling capacity of an o3/04 IC design based on cooling columns visible from the top of the IC.

While that is probably adequate for an 8 to 9 psi boost level Eaton, if the owner puts a twin screw or one of the VMP TVS style compressors on the engine the heat transfer capacity of that small of an IC unit will be quickly exceeded. Is it possible to fit a larger IC to the manifold for the higher performance compressors?

Your approach of keeping the IC in the manifold rather than on the bottom of the blower makes a lot of sense — in particular at blower installation / removal time. This doesn't seem like a big deal until you start to assemble or worse disassemble a blower from the engine while it is in the car. With an IC in the manifold, like your design uses, the install / removal of the compressor becomes decidedly easier.

While I'm sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, you might want to consider this sort of product for the "C" head engines also. The OEM Terminator intake manifolds have long since become unavailable from Ford which left enthusiasts somewhat abandoned if they wanted to use a PD blown version of the engine. The up shot was to either force them to a custom manifold and a turbo(s) or go to a different platform.

The modular manifold design you used looks like it could support interchangeable bottoms. The interchangeable bottom approach allows you to accommodate a "B" head, a "C" head and potentially a raised port GT500 style head with just a single lower manifold component change. This would make the product quite attractive to additional buyers expanding your market penetration and also your sales volume.

Again, very nice design.

Ed

p.s. I menat to ask earlier but forgot, are those coolant manifolds you are using at the back of the manifold on each head products?

What happened to my reply?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by James3 View Post
    What happened to my reply?
    When you replied, James, you accidently erased the "[/QUOTE]" at the end of my post and the vBulletin software thought the entire post was yours. Easy whoops to get caught by.

Ed

Forgive my lack of knowledge about replying in a forum, but where you able to actually read my response or do I still owe you one?

I could read it James. Read post #4 above. It explains what happened to your posting and how I fixed it so it was visible.

Ed

Senior Member Array

This is very cool! The key thing will be making the price point work versus other options prospective clients may consider. I would also like to see a bigger IC unit (horsepower support) if I was going this route, I would want to be able to see big gains for the effort/expense

Would this intercooler setup work with the kenne bell 2.1 I have on my 97 cobra?

One word: awesome

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought so too, Robert. Very nicely executed!!

Ed

Junior Member Array

My limited research sez this would be doable. Just have to make a top to accommodate the KB. Next step is a usable 3D printed part made of automotive grade nylon from a MI OEM supplier. Very excited!!

Wow, James! Just saw this thread tonight for the first time. Looks like a great design and I’m Looking forward to an update or if you still plan a prototype for March.

This thing looks awesome. Would really love to add a IC to my Kenne Bell 2.1

Junior Member Array

sub'd
    nice work

17. Remove Advertisements
    ModularFords.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread